Worming question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by n1st, Sep 25, 2007.

1. n1st

n1st Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    With the Safe-guard wormer, how much do you give 1 bird and do you repeat it a week later? Also, what is the withdrawl time?

Thanks

2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    What kind is it, Pellets, liquid or paste?

3. n1st

n1st Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    It's Liquid.

4. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Fenbendazole (Safe-Guard or PanaCure) has no known safe withdrawal time in laying hens. Having said that most folks do 30 days if they have to use it. For meat there is a known withdrawal time in beef pork and goats but again nothing for chickens.

I have used it when my heritage breeds are not laying in the winter and found it very effective. It is the only wormer that will protect your turkeys from Blackhead by eliminating the carrier worm from them and your chickens.

Use the same weight/dose calculation as for beef or horses. I mix it in some water and coat flatted corn with it then feed that as a treat. Of course you need to be sure that everyone gets some so spread it out well and know ahead of time about how much you would need to have everyone satisfied. There is a huge safety margin with Fenbedazole so air on the side of dosing high to be sure everyone gets enough. It will mix with water but will not stay mixed so that's not a good option.

5. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    I use one drop per pound of body weight, more wont hurt,Adoptedbyachicken, levamisole is actually better than fenbendazole for cecal worms

6. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Ya if you can get it, but try that some days. [​IMG]

Fenbendazole is much cheeper too.

7. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I use DE and there isnt any withdrawal with it and they dust themselves with it too and I mix it in their feed and it takes care of the worms. Diatanimous Earth

8. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Diatomaceous Earth [​IMG]

But make sure it's FOOD GRADE.

9. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Yep I get mine from Hoeggers goat supply and its food grade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by