Worming question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GGchick, May 19, 2010.

1. GGchick

GGchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi, I'm a new chicken mommy trying to learn all I can. I've read about deworming chickens when there's an infestation, but do you do it as a sort of "preventive maintenance"? ...If there's anyone out there with horses, we worm our horses every 2 months whether we see worms or not -- Is that necessary for chickens too? If so, at what age do you start and what do you use? Thanks!

2. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    DE!!! Put it in the food and it keeps them from getting worms. also put it where they take dust bathes ad it will keep mites off em too. put it round the pen on the ground and flies stay away. it is pretty amazing stuff.

make sure it is food grade. your local feed store should have it. i dust my dogs with it for fleas too.

here is a website that will tell all.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

good luck

3. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    oh and you should start as soo as they are old enough to go outside after they have all their adult feathers. once they are out and about full time put it in the food and you'll be good to go. that website has amounts etc. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. GGchick

GGchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Oh my goodness, how do I live on a farm and not know about this stuff? I could use it everywhere!! Thank you so much for the info!

5. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    i know huh it is fabulous! use it in your horse stals too it keeps it dryer and the smell and flies away!

your welcome!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE is a good worm preventative but will not kill worms. Same for mites/lice. Cayenne pepper in their feed is a good worm preventative also. You dont want to use chemical wormers as they are poisons and are hard on the chickens system. However, I'll use them in a heartbeat if I suspect my chickens have worms. I suggest you read 'threehorses' messages on worming. I follow her directions to the letter.

7. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    that is what she asked for a preventative

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by