Worming, still confused...

stephstuckman

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014
So I have read a lot on here about worming quail and still don't know what to do. I have coturnix, they are kept off the ground, but I gave them dirt to dust bathe in. Do I need to worm them? If so what do I use? I plan of eating the birds, could I still do that if I worm them? What about eating the eggs? They are on medicated gamebird started because that's all I can get here, southwestern colorado.

You should speak to your local grain/feed mill and have them order you in a non-medicated gamebird feed 24% or higher protein. Because you give the birds dirt, worming may need to happen, yes. There isn't really a lot of point in keeping them on wire if you're going to expose them to the dirt, IMO. If you are keeping them on wire and want to avoid parasites, you give them a non-silica type sand (children's play sand) or what I use, calcium sand (reptile substrate type).
You can still eat the birds and eggs after you worm them, but not for a certain time period depending on what you use. Usually the chemical package will tell you not to eat the animal or animal products for "this" amount of time. You are already feeding them medicated feed, which means you can't eat the animal either without withdrawing the products for a certain time period as well. I think I recall seeing one feed saying to withdraw it for at least a week before butchering but I'm not sure.

I tried ordering non medicated feed but they can't get it. I live in a small town. The chick starters are too low in protein. I have been eating the eggs but not the birds yet. They get purina gamebird starter. I have read of other people using medicated and eating the eggs. Do you think I could switch them to chick starter a week before I butcher them?

Try giving them a non medicated meat bird feed (Nutrena meatbird is 22% pro. ) then add some sort of protein (Bloodmeal, bone meat, soybean meal, any legume, or bugs) and it will increase your protein greatly, without needing medicated feed.

I'll have to see what else I can order. Anything I get has to be special ordered. People don't raise gamebirds around here. I just bought 100lbs of feed so I have to use it up. They are 7 weeks old now, and molting, so none are laying yet. My 4 older quail are 12 weeks old. I have 2 of them to butcher. If I buy a small bag of something else go feed them for a week could I then butcher those 2? I'm not worried about the second group yet.

If you can get the medicated game bird starter from purina, then you should be able to get Purina Gamebird Breeder/Layena. I have the same problem up here with feed, but I eventually found a farm that mills thier own feed, and they have a custom ration for me. If you want to butcher those birds, I would just buy a bag of Nutrena Meatbird Feed

Does the breeder/layer come non medicated? I want the birds mostly for eggs, but I want to eat the spare roosters. I did find a general livestock feed that is 22% protein, it's not crumbles if that matters, it partially ground grains, a few whole pieces

Yes, it is non medicated. You might be able to get Purina Gamebird Starter non medicated as well, if your feed store is willing to cooperate. If they carry Purina, they should be able to get the non medicated starter along with the Breeder/Layena. And If they carry a meat bird food, (Between 20-28% pro.) then I would feed the butcher birds that

How long do I feed non medicated before I can butcher them? I have 100lbs of purina medicated gameebird feed I can't return, can I still eat the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom