Worming *Update*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OrpingtonHopeful, Dec 16, 2011.

1. OrpingtonHopeful

OrpingtonHopeful Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2009
    Ok, I have a hen who has lived depsite looking eggbound, barely pooping, etc for a few weeks now. (Here's her story: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7968935 ) Her breathing is labored- No sign of worms, but she looks a lot like the photo on the other thread with the photo (this hen dying thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=608663) and so I would like to worm here- I have Wazine on hand and Ivermectin 1% injectible that expired a couple months ago, but should prolly be fine-

I'd like to mix a wormer in her water or be able to treat on the skin as I have to do this alone and cannot manage to force feed her anything by myself (and would hate to further compromise her breathing by introducing this to her lungs by mistake.

I have searched but am getting tons of conflicting advice and have lost my old links to dosages and methods-

While we are at it, can anyone tell me how to dose with Corrid as well?

Seriously, this hen has been sick and at death's door since the beginning of the month- living in my kitchen- Your advice and help is really appreciated!

*****So my sick gal has received a dose of Wazine (trying to start of gently and not give her a toxic overload if this is, in fact a heavy worm infestation)- I will pull that water to give fresh later today but she seems really fluffed up and even unhappier at the moment- In between doses (I plan to follow with Ivermectin to finish off the majority of other kinds of worms) should I consider something like Corrid?

At this point, I have no idea what's wrong so I am kinda shooting a shotgun and hoping to hit something before she succombs to whatever IT is!*****************

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Hi Orpington, read dawg53's (Jim) posts. He's got great worming advice. Good luck [​IMG]

3. OrpingtonHopeful

May 17, 2009
    Quote:Thanks! Will do!

4. OrpingtonHopeful

May 17, 2009
    *****So my sick gal has received a dose of Wazine (trying to start of gently and not give her a toxic overload if this is, in fact a heavy worm infestation)- I will pull that water to give fresh later today but she seems really fluffed up and even unhappier at the moment- In between doses (I plan to follow with Ivermectin to finish off the majority of other kinds of worms) should I consider something like Corrid?

At this point, I have no idea what's wrong so I am kinda shooting a shotgun and hoping to hit something before she succombs to whatever IT is!*****************

5. OrpingtonHopeful

May 17, 2009
    Anyone?

She stands in one place and closes her eyes. She is puffed up and tail down. She has been fighting this for weeks.

6. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Sounds just like my BR pullet before she passed [​IMG] I just figured out she might of had worms

Do you have any chicken/bird vets in your area that you can take her to? Sorry i'm no help i'm a new chicken owner. Good luck with your baby [​IMG]

7. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I don't know dosage of corrid but I do know that it is a cocci treatment, not a wormer.

I think (could be wrong) dawg usually says treat with wazine, wait a week then treat with another broad spectrum wormer. His advice is better than my basic jist, but...

8. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    He recommends Valbazen (albendazole) and I contacted him recently about worming my chickens (5 months) for the first time - he said to skip the Wazine, that he really doesn't use it anymore. Valbazen is expensive and difficult to get; I was able to get some from a local BYC member who had a giant bottle and sold me just a little bit. You might check into that if you're in a relatively populated area.

It is important to re-dose in 10 days because that time span allows worm eggs to hatch but not mature fully to egg-laying adults. You should treat all of your chickens while you're at it (and while days are short/egg production is low) if you're at all able.

It sounds like this hen has been through a lot and I'm hoping she pulls through. Good luck!

9. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Quote:Thanks for clarifying, its been a while since I've checked out a wormings issue thread.

10. OrpingtonHopeful

May 17, 2009
    Thanks All!

I did the wazine yesterday because I had read that if they do have a heavy infestation (which-if this IS worms, it would have to be to generate such symptomatic behavior) that the dead worms in their system can be toxic to them so you start off mild and then do your second does with ivermectin or another more broad spectrum wormer-

I treated her in her brooder box which goodness help me is still IN MY KITCHEN and the rest of the gals in the coop.

I added baby vits (NO iron) and gatorade to her water today as a boost after the wormer- I also gave her yogurt mixed with applesauce and a smidge of molasses to help move everything through-

I dont want to spend a lot of $$ here and have 1% injectible ivermec on hand for the re-dose so if she makes it 7 days I will give her that-

In the meantime, I have Corid on hand- I know it is used for Cocci, but as an antibiotic, I wondered if it might have broader use and if it might help this por gal fight whatever secondary infection might be going on-

As you can see, I have been trying to be very supportive of her without over medicating- I dont believe in over use of abx and I really wanted her to fight this off, or pass the impacted egg, or whatever on her own, but as she has been hanging on sooooo long I do want to try to resolve this for her without being too heavy handed!

Thank you all for any and all advice and for your support- The guys at the feed store are awesome, but def farmers and were like, "She'll either live or she'll die leave her be." While I agree and get that practically, She's only 1 1/2 yrs old and I would like to be a good caretaker and be sure I have done all I can (within reason- well I don;t know is having a chicken living in my house for the last 2 weeks reasonable? [​IMG]) to help her get through this and be healthy.

Thanks again all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by