1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worming while Molting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bustermommy, Nov 14, 2011.

1. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I was wondering if this is a bad idea.

Assuming that the worming is not an urgent thing (in other words, just precautionary, per schedule, or otherwise not a "sick" chicken), is it a bad idea to worm a chicken who is molting since their body is already under stress?

Or is it better to wait?

Does the answer depend on which wormer you are planning on using?

Please note, I am not referring to giving them de, pumpkin or other natural methods, but medicinal wormer.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A lot of people do this because they don't lose so many eggs. There is at least one, though, that can cause malformation in the feathers coming in. I'd just research whatever wormer you have in mind as well as I could. You could either give it quite early in the molt or when it has cooled down, to reduce the stress. If you use Valbazen, it is relatively gentle on them.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with Flockwatcher, valbazen is your best bet. Dont use safeguard during molt, the fenbendazole causes feather deformity...I learned that from personal experience years ago.
    After worming, it's always best to feed them a mixture of scrambled egg and buttermilk for 4-5 days. Scrambled egg for the extra protein needed in helping feather regrowth and strength, buttermilk as a probiotic to help their immune system. I dont recommend using eggs laid during worming nor yogurt.

4. Covey Rise Plantation

Covey Rise Plantation Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    Camilla
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I had used the goat wormer previously and got the curled,stunted feathers after a molt on a couple of birds. Here's a link:
    http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html
    Scroll down to "Fenbendazole Treatments," then down to "Three-Day Treatment," and read. As to why... perhaps you can google it and let us know and tell us about your experience with fenbendazole.

6. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Why not use yogurt? I have, out of 14 chickens, 1 or 2 that has worms. Just found them. I was going to give them ground up pumpkin seeds and yogurt until I can get to the feed store to get "Valbazen". I believe that is the name of the wormer I need. How should I do this before I can get the wormer med.? Also, I read that one should not consume the eggs of a chick that has worms, is this correct? Thank you for your help in advance.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for info on worming during molt and thought I'd share that one of my books says it can cause "fret marks" on new feathers.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This is what fret marks look like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by