worming with piperazine- how long until I can eat the eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by missychicky, Aug 10, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I just finished treating my girls water with piperzine. I know when you worm your chickens you can't eat the eggs for a while but how long will that while be? Is there any thing else I should know about worming because this is my first time I've done it.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    14 days,toss them in the garbage. Day after tomorrow, give your chickens yogurt or buttermilk (probiotics), canned beef catfood (protein), mix all this in their feed to make a mash and give it to them to eat. feed them this for about 3 days in a row to build up their strength and immune systems.

3. cluckiemama

cluckiemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    hope this isn't stupid question... how did you know they had worms and needed that treatment? I've never done anything like that for mine- haven't seen anything looking like worms, but certainly am NOT looking![​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If they act lethargic, slowed or stopped eating/drinking/laying...not acting like a chicken should...pecking,scratching running around etc...most likely it could be worms. Most of the time you wont see them in their poop. If you see them in their poop,they have an infestation.

5. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I guess I'd be eating them for breakfast tomorrow. I remember being given this as a child---I was in a third world country at the time--and suffered no I'll effects. See this link: http://www.betterchem.com/vet/piperazine.htm

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I saw your link and read it....be my guest Birdbrain, eat all the eggs you want til your heart's content! I pass. Federal register Feb 1969!? When was the last time you read the warning on the label on the back of the bottle?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by