Worming with Safeguard Goat Wormer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HenHoneyGirl, May 12, 2016.

1. HenHoneyGirl

HenHoneyGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Arizona
    Hi i just got some safeguard goat wormer to take care of my teenage chicks tapeworm problem. How should I go about administering? I've read 3cc's per gallon(?) in the water for 3 days but that's for adult this is for my teenagers, they're about 4 months going on 5 now and I have others that are about 3 months. So maybe 2cc per gallon? Also how long should it be in their water? I've read 3 days I believe but I'm not sure. Do I need to worm again after the first treatment? I'm trying to get rid of tapeworms.

2. paneubert

paneubert Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    I could be wrong, but I think the recent intel is that Safeguard doesn't dissolve in water? It settles out/to the bottom really quick. I think there is an ultra expensive version they sell now (that you have to get thru a vet) that is made to go into water.

Calling @casportpony ....

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That amount is highly unlikely to treat *any* worms, especially tapeworms. For tapeworms, you could try Safeguard 3-5 days in a row, but some people have reported that it's not very effective. Dose would be 0.23 ml per pound for 5 days.

If you want to be treat tapes, the best way is with praziquantel, which you will find in tubes of Equimax horse paste. Dose is 0.03 ml per pound orally, so a five pound chicken would get 0.16 ml.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You are correct, it settles out pretty quickly, but more importantly, much more would be needed. That 3 cc per gallon is not an effective way to worm poultry.

Here is a necropsy picture of a chick that was wormed that way:
    [​IMG]

One can get Safeguard AquaSol, but it's close to $300 per quart, so not an option for most people.

One could also use WormOut Gel:
    http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/medications/worms-wormers/36-vetafarms-wormout-gel-100ml-cc

Dose is 47 ml per gallon for two days, repeat in 10 days.

Least expensive way would be to buy a tube of EquiMax.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  5. paneubert

Nov 20, 2015
    I am not sure how many have tried WomOut Gel so far, but I am one of them! I did not realize it was going to come out orange and sort of citrus smelling! Guess that is catering to the parrots.....

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

7. paneubert

Nov 20, 2015
    Have not done a second round, but at least from the "did they consume it" perspective, they did. My issue with it was that I tried to use a 50 ml graduated cylinder to measure the dose for a gallon, but found that the gel really is.....a gel. It did not want to come out of my graduated cylinder since the cylinder is so skinny/narrow. So I had to do lots of poking and prodding and squirting of water to get it out. They claim that each pump of the dispenser is something like 2 ml (or 1 ml, cant recall). But my "pumper" seemed to be broken or defective. I was not getting consistent amounts coming out. So I used the precise measuring method. If I could have estimated and used the built in pump, it would have been easier.

Once in the gallon jug, shaking was easy. It seems to combine easily with water. I did notice a thin white film formed on the bottom of my waterer when I went to wash it out after day 2 (or day 3, I might have left it out an extra day, can't recall for sure). I use the standard plastic waterer type where water fills a doughnut shaped basin with a larger reservoir in the middle. I am not sure if that film was wormer settling out, or a binder in the gel, or a preservative, or what. Who knows.

I know it is a debated topic sometimes, but this was a preventative worming and not a result of known high worm load. My birds are in an aviary on dirt 24/7, and are contained to their "small" area and can't roam to areas with a "fresh" worm load in the dirt (we are talking about quail). I also got them at 8 weeks, not at day old like most chickens would be sold. So I figured I worm them now so that if they picked anything up from their first 8 weeks of life at the farm, or their time with me so far in my contained dirt aviary, I am covered for a wide array of worms. The theory is that "new" worms wont be introduced into the aviary unless I track them in on my shoes. Half inch hardware cloth means I don't have wild birds coming in or anything like that. The broad spectrum coverage is why I went with WormOut. I do not know of a specific worm issue, so I want to cover my bases. After the second dose of Gel in a little while, I probably won't worm again unless I see an active issue (weird poops, tape worm segments, etc...)

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  8. HenHoneyGirl

HenHoneyGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Arizona
    Well safeguard is what I've got so hopefully it works for me.0.23 per pound of water? or chicken?

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's just a little less than 1/4 cc per pound of bird.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by