Worming young chicks?

beth59

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 2, 2009
Pensacola, Fl
Okay, so we added 4 SLWs to our brood on July 4. Two are supposed to be 6-7 weeks, but look more like 2-3 weeks to me based on their feathering (or lack thereof) and two are supposed to be 11-12 weeks. The older chicks seem to be doing well and looking good, but I don't like the looks of the babies' poo. Seems rather liquid-y and looks like the crumbles are passing through. I'm going to take them out of the pen when I go home at lunch and see if I can catch them doing a fresh poo and see what that looks like or if they're just messy and getting crumbles strewn around that are getting mixed in their poos.
Anyway, I'm wondering if perhaps they need to be wormed. The breeder said he hadn't wormed them yet, but according to my Chickens for Dummies book, it looks like you're not supposed to give wormers until they are 18 weeks old.
I've been reading the DE threads and wondering about trying that, but one poster says not to do it with baby animals. How young is too young? If I can worm, what is recommended? Never had to worm my other birds and they all seem fine and healthy. These little guys look okay, except for that gangly stage with feathers coming in.

Beth

the poo you discribe dosnt sound like worms. are you feeding medicated feed?
eigther way i wouldnt worm young chicks there realy is no need untill at least 18 weeks and you can do alot of harm before. DE gets talked about alot and i dont want to start any arguments but i would advise not to use with young chicks

Yes, medicated crumbles, so should be coccidia. Checked them as I was replacing their bedding at lunch and the poos aren't as bad as I thought. Maybe it was just that they were stepping on it and mixing it i with their strewn crumbles and it made it look worse. Will hold off on any worming. I don't like using chemicals with my animals anyway, unless absolutely necessary. Otherwise, they seem healthy. Just thought they'd be more feathered out if they're as old as the breeder says. I think maybe he is mistaken on their age, as he had various ages of chicks in his grow out pen. Thanks.

Beth

Back
Top Bottom