Worming your birds

destinduck

obsessed with "ducks"
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
n.w.FLORIDA
Does anyone give their birds the hog and cattle wormer food that look exactly like chicken layer pellets? Also on a different wormer (Wazine to be exact)How much wazine do you add to the water for pheasants and peacocks? Yall can answer either one or both. Thanks!

Hi destinduck,
Yes, I use Safeguard that's used especially for horses for my Quails and other birds too. Its in a tube as a paste. You only need to give the birds a pea-sized amount, that will do. For the Wazine, Use 1 ounce for every gallon of water and let the birds drink this for one whole day only, then the next day offer fresh water.

Hope this helps!

I don't care for the Wazine as it is only effective on round worm. Ivomec or Safeguard work on a variety of worms. I usually rotate back and forth between the two. Safeguard is also available in a liquid you can add to the water.

Thanks Birdman. I told my bud what you told me on the dosage. He had it and wanted to use the rest of it before buying ivomec. I also use Ivomec myself . I too feel it is the best. I only use it twice a year and use the pellets in between. Anyone ever use or used the pellets?

No problem destinduck!
wink.png
I haven't tried Ivomec before I'll have to give it a try.
I hope all your birds are doing well.

I've not used the pellets. I've often thought about it, but it might be hard to get the dosage right as some birds eat like pigs and some eat like...urrrr....birds, lol. But being Safeguard, overdosing is harder than other wormers. I thought it might be great with the emu. The pellets can be different dosages depending if it is for goat, swine or horse.....

I've always used the Ivomec pour on directly on the bird. I use to use it in the mouth, but read somewhere that it can be harder on their liver when ingested directly.??? I get a dosing gun with a tube that fits in the bottle. Then I sneak up on them when they are sleeping and stick the tip under the feathers and squeeze....lol. The more spastic have to get handled...Which is the down side. My YG and such just open an eye at me.

I use the pig pellets and thats all they get for 3 days.(This is how many days my buddies said to use) I first tried it with mallards so I could see any bad side effects.(tried it for 5 days with no ill effects BTW) I really only worm because of my java boy. To be honest I only worry about worming him because most peafowl people say you should worm. But since I get a big bag the rest goes to the pheasants and whats left the ducks. I give ivomec on the skin under the wing. Roger on the spastic
lol.png

Humm. Ill have to try that. It would be cheaper I think also to use the pellets on all my critters big and small. Easier for my cranes too as they make a mess with the water.....What percent Safeguard is in the swine you use....

Back
Top Bottom