Svh2403

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2022
Hi how often is it recommended and safe to worm a cockerel, he was abandoned so I have no idea how long it was since he was last wormed so I’m not sure if to do it or to wait, any advice would be brilliant thank you

I’ve attached a photo of him below

Attachments

• 2A7EE19F-29F5-4D0E-971A-1281DCF0FBCF.jpeg
    2A7EE19F-29F5-4D0E-971A-1281DCF0FBCF.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 5
If he seems healthy I don't see any reason to treat him. Some people worm regularly, but I don't think it's necessary with good flock management and there is the issue of overuse creating drug resistance. Free range chickens are pretty much always going to have some worms and usually manage them just fine. I only treat when someone is looking pale/unwell for no other reason or I find worms in the poop.

Hi how often is it recommended and safe to worm a cockerel, he was abandoned so I have no idea how long it was since he was last wormed so I’m not sure if to do it or to wait, any advice would be brilliant thank you
How often you worm birds depends on your soil conditions.
You can worm him with Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dosage is .25ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days. For a 5 pound bird, dosage would be 1.25ml given orally.

How often you worm birds depends on your soil conditions.
You can worm him with Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dosage is .25ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days. For a 5 pound bird, dosage would be 1.25ml given orally.
Thanks for the advice

If he seems healthy I don't see any reason to treat him. Some people worm regularly, but I don't think it's necessary with good flock management and there is the issue of overuse creating drug resistance. Free range chickens are pretty much always going to have some worms and usually manage them just fine. I only treat when someone is looking pale/unwell for no other reason or I find worms in the poop.
Thank you for the advice

I have never wormed our chickens, but I think I need too. We use valbazen on the cows, so I was going to use that in their water. I put food grade DE out regularly in their dust bath. Do I discard the eggs after I worm them? If so, how long? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom