Worming

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chilly, Sep 1, 2009.

1. chilly

chilly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    England
    at what age do i need to think about worming my ducks??
    is it essential and what are the best products avavilable.

thanks in advance

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i say start worming as soon as they go outside, and idk if it essential but there are a few products on the market i have no clue on names but there are also a few home remedies you can prepare like one teaspoon of vinegar per gallon of water or you can put some concocsion of garlic and water so there are cheaper methods out there i use the vinegar and water on my ducks and chickens monthly

3. Most people don't worm their ducks unless there are definate signs of an infestation. Some people use DE as a preventative.

4. chilly

chilly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    England
    Thanks Dances,

I was only asking because my Aylesbury has a bit or a cough/sneeze thing going on, it does nt seem to be all the time and i would have thought that if one had them, they would probably all have them?

What is "DE" and is it easy to use and readily available???

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    If he is showing signs of illness, then you might want to treat--but it doesn't really sound like worms to me. Some sort of respiratory illness--I'm no diagnostician so I can't really help--but I'd keep an eye on it.

DE is diotomaceous earth (and I've almost certainly spelled it wrong). It's available from farm supply stores & catalogs, and gardening stores too. It's the fossil remains of tiny creatures, and it has very sharp edges that tend to make the earth unpleasant for insect critters, and therefore serves a pretty good reducer of insect pests. You simply spread it directly on the earth around the areas you want to de-bug. It is non-toxic to animals.

6. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    sorry i forgot to mention you just do it as preventative [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by