Worming?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cochicks, Feb 5, 2011.

1. cochicks

cochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Do chickens need regular worming? How often? How do I do it?

2. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    This thread has some very good information. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213065

Use
    Wazine the first time you worm, as it is milder, and if they have a really bad infestation, they can go into shock if you use the stronger stuff. The wazine will nock the infestation down a few notches, then follow up with something stronger like Ivermectin or Eprinex. I don't know if that thread talks about Eprinex, but you can use the search bar in the upper right hand column to read more about it. The benifit of it over the Ivermectin is that there is no egg withdrawl from it. With ivermectin you don't want to eat the eggs for 2 wks or more after you treat the birds.

3. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    I've heard that raw pumpkin, I give to mine from a can this time of year, and oak coals will deworm them just as well if not better than most all medications in general. I'd prefer not to medicade mine for anything and would use these two methods long before I would anything else. It's worth it to try and healthier for them. I must also recommend they have yogurt, tspn cider vinegar to a gallon of water with a clove of garlic, this should help also!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, natural treatments like Pumpkin Seeds are the best method. . . .

5. chookadoo

chookadoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    I just popped some garlic cloves in their water today and I'm hoping this works as i'd read it should do as a natural method.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  7. cochicks

Jul 25, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    They don't actually have worms (that I know of). I just read that chickens should be wormed regularly. http://www.upc-online.org/chickens/propercare.htm So I was wondering, in a healthy flock, it is still necessary to worm? If so, how often?

8. Luvroos

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    If you use natural foods verses medications you would never need to deworm them with medications since you are also preventing them from getting worms with all foods described above ie: garlic, vinegar, pumpkin and seeds, oak coals. This depends on how often you give it to them also, daily, every few days or every so often. I try to give mine pumpkin at least twice a week or so and garlic each time I prepare them grub to eat which is once every two or three days.

9. cochicks

Jul 25, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Great! I hate to use chemicals unless I absolutely have to. I will buy a can of pumpkin tomorrow! Can they taste apple cider vinegar?

10. Luvroos

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    They sure can and most likely will not like it so you might want to keep an eye on them to make sure they are drinking it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by