1. broodymomma

broodymomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Hey, I was reading some old posts about worming and not sure I quite understand. I did see some worms in a poop when cleaning up in the coop and wondering if I should be worming. Does anyone do this and how often? I really don't treat my chickens with anything. Just try to let them free range as much as possible and provide them with good feed, snacks (black oil sunflower seeds; treats of oatmeal snacks, lots of left overs, meal worms, flax seed) and LOTS of fresh water. Thanks for any advice.

Debi

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Debi, are you sure that what you saw were worms or maggots? Flies will lay eggs in fresh poop...

3. broodymomma

broodymomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Well, not really sure. They were white skinny things and moved like a worm, and I just assumed they were worms. I know maggots look like short fat worms, unfortunately, I have seen them in the summer on the garbage:( Would they look and be the same?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I would imagine they would look the same. Unfortunately, from what I've read, once you see the worms in the poop, they may have a pretty good infestation. I'm going to leave it to someone with more experience to tell you the best thing to use, as I have not wormed mine other than to give them pumpkin guts and seeds. I understand the fresh seeds have some worming properties. Also, if you do a search on worming, you'll find lots of posts. It's a bit overwhelming, but the info is there.

6. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:That's a good thread! Especially the chart with the pictures. Gross, but good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by