1. frstchknz

frstchknz In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    I have 8 hens (7 mos old) and one of them seems to be sick. She stands off to the side, has no interest in the corn treat that I give them in the morning, her comb has gone limp and is hanging off to the side. She was sleeping in the nesting box at night for a while, but then would get up and go outside with the others for the day. Last night she apparently spent the night on the floor under the roost. She was covered with poo and she is very lathargic. I separated her from the others and gave her her own little corner in the coop. From what I've read on here I'm thinking she has worms. I really don't know. If she has worms, should I worm everyone?? or can I just worm her? The others seem very healthy and happy, going about their usual daily antics. What should I use to worm her? I'm new at this and really have no idea about de-wormers for chickens. I know if I use de-wormers I will have to throw away the eggs for a while, this is why I was asking if I should do them all? or should I wait to see if any others show signs? I plan to keep her separated until she gets better, or if I just worm her then I will keep her separated until her eggs are safe to eat... am I doing the right thing?
    I appreciate all your help.
    thanks.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I suspect she might be eggbound since you stated she was sleeping in the nest box. Try soaking her in a container of warm water, with the water up to her sides. Gently massage her underside front to rear for about 20 minutes. The warm water will expand her innards and massaging should help the egg move along. You can put some olive oil just inside her vent, making it easier for her to lay the egg. You can repeat soaking as necessary. Keep an eye on her poop for anything out of the ordinary.

3. frstchknz

frstchknz In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    I guess I should have said.. it started with diarrhea several days ago.. then she acted like she just didn't want to get up on the roost.. she only slept in the nest, she got out first thing in the morning, then didn't go back until night again. I don't believe she is eggbound. I see no struggle.. or sign of trying to lay an egg.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Visually inspect her for lice/mites, especially around the vent area. If you decide to worm her, worm all your chickens at the same time. I recommend valbazen, the best wormer on the market.

5. frstchknz

frstchknz In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    ok.. I don't know what's wrong with my hen. I was going to worm her because I read some posts that sounded like how she was acting, and thought that was maybe the problem. I don't however see any worms, nor have I ever seen any sign of worms in anyones poo... I clean my coop twice a week and use pine shavings. I also dust now and then with DE. I haven't actually fed DE to them, but I put it in the shavings about every two or three times of cleaning.
    I put her in a warm bath tonight and rubbed on her.. I see no bugs... I feel nothing "odd".. although I have really no idea what I'm looking for. She is very thin, she hasn't been eating at all.
    Is there anyone that can help me? I feel like I'm just watching her die.

6. frstchknz

frstchknz In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    anyone? [​IMG]

7. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Songster

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    DE is not a worm treatment. I never saw worms in the poop... but, they had worms.

It is good to worm them twice a year at least..... sooner if you see symptoms or worms.

Valbazen is best.. dawg53 gives the best and most accurate advice... Search Worming with Valbazen -- don't trust your eyes.. there are many types of worms.. and mites happen too.. DE is "nice", but not a treatment.

My chickens got both mites and worms while I was using DE in and round the coop and even feeding them a little.. it may help a little to prevent, but not totally.

Valbazen is a bit costly.. expensive for me.. available at the local feed store.... at mine from a large open bottle I can buy a few ounces... given to each chicken individually, orally.... in the back and to the side of the throat.. avoiding the windpipe at the back of the tongue.

1/4 CC/ ML per BANTAM... 1/2 CC / ML per Standard chicken.. WITHHOLD EGGS.. repeat in 10 days... and don't use eggs or meat for the entire time.. wait to 15th day after second treatment.

Give some yogurt or buttermilk mixed in feed a few days after treating, for intestinal health.

8. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Songster

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Valbazen does not kill mites... Seven Dust or Poultry Dust in the under the wing area, vent area.. above the tail - where the tail meets the back area.... a little sprinkled in the nesting boxes on the cleaned roosts.. and on the dirt floor.. repeat this in ten days as well.. might want to do this in between treating with Valbazen for worms, or after.. I am not sure about doing both at the same time.
    Also, Valbazen is safe to use as a first wormer.

9. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Songster

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Keep in mind worms can kill a chicken and any and all chickens get worms from eating things.. if yours free range, they probably all have worms and you should immediately treat the entire flock. Valbazen is available at the local feed store... call around for availability, size and prices... it is not labeled for use in chickens.. so... just ask for Valbazen oral.. it is a milky white, slightly think like Milk of Magnisea (sp) -- look for more recent posts by dawg53 under "Worming with Valbazen".

Good luck... I hope you don't lose her.

10. frstchknz

frstchknz In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    thank you for your reply. I asked at the feed store about Valbazen, as Dawg had mentioned it. They have never heard of it. We don't have a real feed store in our area, just a chain farm and garden.
    I'll try to find it online somewhere.
    My chickens do not free range. They have an enclosed pen 12 x 30
    the other 7 are fine. it's just this one. I will deworm all of them, if I can find it.
    She hasn't eatten in days.. I can't think she will last much longer if I can't get food or water in her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by