Worming ?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Gagirly, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Gagirly

Gagirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Perry, GA
    I'm not sure this is the right forum. Please bear with me, I just joined today. I raised horses for years and the accepted method of worming was to give worm medicine every 4 to 6 weeks and have a vet run a fecal every 6 months. Would this be correct for chickens also ? Which wormers would I use ? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Depending on your area, and the prevalence of worms in your area, you probably only have to worm once or twice a year.

Most wormers render eggs un-eatable, with a 2-week withdrawl time. Not all wormers have that effect, but worming is also tough on the birds themselves.

FYI: This question would be more of a "managing your flock" or "emergencies, cures, and diseases" -type question. "Predators and Pests" is more for problems pertaining raccoons, hawks, and annoying little children. But, you know, whatevs.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Use Wazine, then follow up 2 weeks later with Ivermectin. But once or twice a year is usually all that is needed.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Also a warm welcome from the soggy side of Washington State. [​IMG]

5. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    i'm pretty excited about the liquid goat wormer on bread cube method. dropping the meds down the chickens mouths every day is quite the chore. next time i will definitely give them each their own doped bread cube, so much smarter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by