1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

worming?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roxyblue, Nov 10, 2011.

1. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Hello everyone!
    I thought that since my chickens are not laying right now this would be a good time to worm them. The question is what do I use?
    i only have two hens (currently, I plan on getting some more this weekend [​IMG] ) is there something thats fairly cheep that I can get at TSC or better yet is there some remedie i can mix up at home?
    thanks guys [​IMG]
    -roxyblue

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Piperazine-17 is fairly cheap and can be found at local feed stores, so you should find it at TSC.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm very happy with valbazen. It kills all worms.

4. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Thank you!
    I'll see whats more availible!
    -roxyblue

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can worm them cheaply with wazine for roundworms only, but that is like vaccinating your child for only 1 disease. Chickens get a bunch of different worms and valbazen is the only 1 that gets every kind. It costs between $26 and $40 depending on where you get it, but it works. It needs to be repeated in 10 days just like other wormers, and you need to toss the eggs for 24 days total (and don't feed the eggs back to the chickens.) By taking in a community stool sample to your vet, they can tell you what worms are present--It costs $20-25 just like a dog or cat.

6. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    thankyou!
    I don't really feel like spending another 26$ on just a few hens....[​IMG] I don't think they have worms. But I'd rather be safe then sorry. I DO have some cat wormer on hand, would this stuff work on chickens?
    thanks again,
    -roxyblue

7. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    It will be the best 26 dollars you spent and it will last for years.

8. esm

esm New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    Diatomaceous earth is what I use for my naturally reared dogs.. And it works well!

It is not a poison but works mechanically.. Google it [​IMG] Great stuff..

I am new to chickens but not to DE [​IMG]

Give it a try ITs not expensive especially "IF" you can find it in bulk.. It is also good for external ticks.. mites.. fleas etc

Good luck!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:DE wont prevent nor kill worms.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Cat wormer isnt for chickens. You spend $ on your cat(s)...why not your chickens? At least they provide you food to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by