1. nick123548

nick123548 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    NC/SC
    I have had my chickens for about 9 months. I have been thinking about worming them just because. My wife works at a vets office, and she is taking in a fecal sample to check it. I have seen a lot of post on BYC about Jeffers Livestock, and Valbazen. I went to there site, and they have a product called Wormguard. Is the Wormguard worth it?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'd wait for the results of the fecal sample before you worm.

3. nick123548

nick123548 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    NC/SC
    My wife called when she went to lunch. She said they did not see anything. I didn't know if the Wormguard could be used as a preventative product like Heartguard in dogs.

4. parkerpeeps7

parkerpeeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Georgia
    Hey dawg53- I have seen a lot of your posts about worming & feel you are the worm-knowledge king, lol. I have a hen who is currently indoors b/c she was staying to herself & not eating too much, standing puffed up. She is eating and drinking now that she is inside but she is looking paler. I've got vitamins to go in her water but should I worm 1st or use vitamins 1st? Other chickens are acting normal.

Thank you!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It could be several things; lice/mites, eggbound, worms, maybe even cocci. If you decide to worm her, worm the rest of your birds as well.

6. parkerpeeps7

parkerpeeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Georgia
    Okay thank you! I have checked her for lice/mites & have been checking her for an egg & she does not seem to be eggbound. I've been speaking with other members in another thread about her & have tried all their other suggestions & this is where I'm at now: de-worm her or vitamins b/c I can see no other signs of anything else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by