1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worming

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Horsemama, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Horsemama

Horsemama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    PA
    Could someone tell me at what age I should start worming my peas and with what? I live in a rural area in PA and can only find safeguard and the ivermectin for larger animals. I did find a liquid of one of them that said you could give to turkeys.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I made the mistake of letting my peachicks on the ground way too early, so I started worming mine when they were very young and they've been wormed several times since then. I have a serious problem with blackhead here, so that's why at five months old, mine have been wormed at least three times.

Safeguard for Goats/Cattle (fenbendazole 100mg/ml) is what I use on mine.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I made the same mistake and you remember what happened to my pea. :(

How do you administer the Safeguard? Give me step by step directions, please.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I will work on putting something together.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I appreciate that. :thumbsup

6. Horsemama

Aug 12, 2012
    PA
    Thanks kuntrygirl thats the only kind I can find. Do you do as the direction say? Im going to pick some up tomorrow my peas are going to be 5 mo. this month.

7. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    I use 3cc/ml safeguard for goats per gallon of water

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    My vet told me to give 50mg/kg ( .5cc/kg) by mouth and repeat in 10 days. My two that are 5 months old weigh just over 2.7kg and just got wormed with 1.4cc's of Safeguard. If you're going to do it orally, use a 1cc syringe and be vary careful not to aspirate them.

Read this article: http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/24/

9. Horsemama

Aug 12, 2012
    PA
    Thanks casportpony Im still very new to peas so for their saftey I think I'll put 3cc in a gal of water. My peas are 4 and 5 mo. old an I haven't wormed them yet but by the sounds of it I better get started.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Make sure it's their only water source and stir it as often as you can because the safeguard will separate from the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by