1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worming??????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shangri-lafarms, Jul 20, 2008.

1. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    How often do you need to worm your flock??? What do you do if you worm laying hens, do you wait a certain time to eat the eggs????

2. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    If it's not all natural, yes you have to wait. Usually the bottle will tell you what the wait time is. What I've used before was a 30 wait time and then it was recommended to repeat after 30 days. Well, obviously that wasn't going to work for me or I would never get to eat the eggs. So, I use an all natural dewormer. Murray McMurray or Meyer Hatchery will sell it. They also send free color catalogs of their birds.

3. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I don't, and it seems many folks don't. If there is not a problem, why medicate for one?

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Piperazine is generally used. But, I wouldn't deworm chickens unless you confirmed you haev parasites through a fecal exam.

5. greenapple

greenapple Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Central Florida
    One of the chicken reference books we have said to put a little tobacco in the nest box to help control insects, and that if the chickens were to eat any of the tobacco, it would take care of worms too. I mix a pinch of tobacco with the hay in the nest boxes, and my girls all seem happy and healthy now, had an issue with mites for a bit.

6. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    [​IMG]

Ha ha. I can see it now... chickens high on nicotine.

7. brahma-momma

brahma-momma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Burnside, Ky
    Quote:it does work. i've used it for years. works on dogs too. [​IMG]

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    hmm... My mom gives me liquid herbs for any parasites that I might have in my body. Its from Nature's Sunshine (?). The herb mixture is called Mugwort and Wormseed. Every heard of it? It tastes bitter so I don't know how it will affect the eggs or chickens. Also my mom said that the best time to deworm (or any other parasite) is during a full moon because that is when parasites are most active. And I believe it is a full moon now, atleast here it is... (yes i'm in the US [​IMG])

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I dont either.

10. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    Thanks, everyone for your input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by