1. eggsbennie

eggsbennie New Egg

Oct 8, 2014
    I just wormed my laying hens for the first time this morning with wormout tablets. My vet suggested I withhold eggs for 7 days. Couple of my hens have laid within 20 minutes after giving them their tablet. Should I withhold all of today's eggs? Or start withholding from tomorrow? (Sorry silly question...first time chicken owner)

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I'm sure the eggs you collected today won't have a residual from Oxfendazole and Praziquantel. Most of them were probably laid this morning. Is it the Vetafarm brand you used? How much did you dose each bird, and what age/breed are they?

3. eggsbennie

eggsbennie New Egg

Oct 8, 2014

I have RIR and a few mixed breed. Larger birds got 2 tablets smaller ones got 1 tablet. All are different ages. Yes it's the vetafarm brand.

4. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Good. There's another brand of Wormout I am unfamiliar with besides Vetafarm's. The problem I've found with most tablet/capsule dewormers is the size of the tab. Wormout tabs are a good size. I have some Trifen Avicola tabs (Albendazole) and they are quite large for a Leghorn hen. You'll be dosing again 10 days after the first?

5. eggsbennie

eggsbennie New Egg

Oct 8, 2014

Hmmm when I spoke to the vet and told her there are worms present in the poop and asked her when I should re-treat she said to dose again in 8 weeks? Maybe I should dose earlier?

6. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Follow the label. If your vet says 8 weeks, do it in 8 weeks. It states here at 6 weeks, but unless you see evidence of worms, I'm sure 8 is fine:
    http://www.jedds.com/-strse-956/PIGEON-WORMOUT-TABLETS-(Vetafarm)/Detail.bok

7. eggsbennie

eggsbennie New Egg

Oct 8, 2014

Thanks for your help. I'm still new to all this. Unfortunately I have no label as my vet sells them per tablet [​IMG] I will be ordering my next lot of wormers online as I found them cheaper to buy a whole bottle.

I guess there will be no eggs for breakfast for the next 7 days [​IMG]

8. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You're welcome. Normally, those of us who worm with Valbazen ( Albendazole) or Safe-guard (Fenbendazole) don't eat eggs for 2 weeks after the last dose. I never used to wait that long, and ate eggs a week later without any noticeable difference in taste and texture of eggs. I'll try to find that information on withdrawal again.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by