1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worms AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicken Wolf, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Chicken Wolf

Chicken Wolf New Egg

Jan 1, 2013
    Yesterday when I was cleaning my coop I found worms in the chickens 'waste'.I was wondering how to get rid of them?I cleaned all of them out of the nesting box and put down saw dust and bedding.What are they aswell?

2. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    my chickens eat worms, your problem should be over shortly.

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I guess I am wondering if they were from the chickens or from flies or perhaps larva of something.

If they were coming from the chickens I think you need to worm your chickens. I have not had to do that so I am not sure what to recommend.
    There are a lot of threads on here about it though.
    If you do a search you should come up with how to do that.
    There are a lot of people on here that have tons of experience and I am hoping will chime in.

[​IMG]

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Do a worming with Valbazan. Plenty of good threads on the subject.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Could be roundworms, although there are quite a few internal parasites chickens can get. If they have never been wormed and you are seeing worms in the poop then your birds might have a heavy load of parasites. In that case, it might be safest to worm first with something not so broad spectrum, something like Wazine that will just help clear out the roundworms first. Then do a follow up in 10 days with something more broad spectrum like Valbazen or Safeguard to get everything else. I use both with excellent results, the Safeguard is available in a liquid form for goats that makes dosing really easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by