Worms... again?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by superchemicalgirl, Oct 23, 2011.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    On 09.06 I did Wazine. I didn't think they drank much of it cause of course it rained for 2 days. I consulted here and Sir Dawg said not to worry about it. On 09.15 I did ivermectin, the pour on. I was very thorough with the dropping, making sure to do it in a spot where it wouldn't absorb into the feathers.

I thought everything was fine.

Today I found a large roundworm in a poop on the roost.

[​IMG]

Here's my thoughts:
    1. I should have repeated in another 10 days with the ivermectin pour on? If so, when do I stop?
    2. Since I've ivermectined before, they're resistant?
    3. They continually pick up worm eggs from their dirt run and/or from their free ranging and reinfect themselves

I'm guessing a 1-3 combo.

So... should I treat again (with a different wormer... I do have some po ivermectin/praziquantel for horses) or wait until the ground freezes pretty solid (probably about 4 to 6 weeks)? The girls look healthy besides the molting.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Sir Dawg eh? Hahahaha! Better get you a REAL wormer and go after them with valbazen! I agree with your assessment that they didnt drink enough of the wazine, or any at all. IMO ivermectin is losing its effectiveness in chickens, the ivermectin injectable is useless in chickens although either will still kill mites. It's always best to use a wormer that you have to administer orally, that way you KNOW they got properly wormed and there's no guesswork about it. I dont recommend using the horse wormer during molt, especially with the ivermectin in it. It is rough on their system, not like the valbazen....otherwise I'd recommend the horse wormer in an emergency situation only because the praziquantel kills tapeworm, if your birds had tapes. Then again, valbazen takes care of tapes and all other worms as well. If your feed store doesnt carry it, you can order valbazen from Jefferslivestock.com or call them. It's a liquid cattle/sheep wormer.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  3. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Sorry I had to knight you. Either that or king of intestinal worms.

Was planning on getting the valben and doing that this time.

Should I wait til the ground freezes?

I remember a girl coming in to my pharmacy with an rx for tapeworms. She was freaked out and we didn't have it and no one else had it near us. Of course it was a Friday. I had something else and she made me call the on call doc to get it switched. The on call doc wasn't familiar with worms and said "she's had it this long a few more days ain't gonna hurt" ...

So I guess unless sir dawg says to do it now I will wait. I hate giving meds if they aren't going to be effective.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I wouldnt wait til the ground freezes. What are the worms doing to your chickens in the meantime? Think about it. Administer the valbazen orally, 1/2cc for standard size and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Repeat dosing them 10 days later after the initial dosing. A few days after dosing them, give your chickens scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk in their feed to make a mash and give it to them to eat. Buttermilk is a better probiotic than yogurt. It'll also coat their intestinal lining where the worms were attached. Yogurt is good, but tends to pass through them. Hope this helps.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Love the knighting!

6. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:Thank you. Today when I get home I'll do the wazine and order the valben.

Really, really, appreciate your worm help.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I am worming too since the hens are not laying anyway.Thanks for the posting. I did not know buttermilk has any probiotics in it.I have been adding Lifeway kefir to the hens snack foods.I will add that in too.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
  9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    So what's the deal on worming and eggs. Are you saying the eggs are a no go?

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Ditto

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by