Worms and other pests

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BamaSilkies, Dec 1, 2011.

1. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I am a new member hear so I have been checking out some of other posts. I made a few comments but I noticed that a lot of them had to do with the same type of thing. I have seen several solutions for the same problem but the solution seems to create another problem. I would like to share my story and possible help some other people out too.

I'm new to raising chickens. My husband purchased some chickens for me. They were mixed breed I only wanted them for the eggs not to raise chicks so it was no importance the breed I mean. A couple of days after I got them( the middle of summer here in the south) I noticed that they were sneezing. Then shortly after they started loosing weight, they eating the same. They also had watery poop. I did some research that only confused me more. They had symptoms of about 80% of the known chicken diseases. I was ready to cry. I purchased dewormer and antibiotic. I immediately dewormed them and then put them on the antibiotics for 2 wks as the vet had instructed. I had several die before the 2 wks was up and then a few more after that. I went back to the internet and researched some more. I found an ad on craigslist that saved the rest of my chickens. I purchased a product called DE(Diatomatious Earth 100% pure FOOD GRADE, not the stuff at Lowes) I immediately mixed to 5% to feed. The very next morning, even though I had seen no visible sign, the little culprits were. Where the chickens had roosted the night before was a bloody clump. I took a stick a searched it, it had a large clump of DEAD round worms. I use this stuff to dust my chickens, dog, coop, nest boxes and anything else I use it on. My chickens are healthy and perky and their feathers are brighter and shinier than ever. I cant tell you everything that kills so look it up on the internet. I just know that I will never be without if at all possible. Oh yeah it has other minerals like calcium that good stuff too. I hope that this will help someone as much as it helped me.

2. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I forgot to tell you another good thing about this product. There is no Waiting period for eggs or chickens. It is all natural and can even be consumed directly by humans as well.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:What did your vet say about using it as a wormer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by