hendersoneggie

Hatching
Mar 28, 2020
Hello all,

My vet gave me tri/sulfa (40mg/mL) to treat an upper respiratory infection for my flock. Bacteria were identified as Enterobacter and Galibacterium. I have been treating everyone for 4 days now after one of the healthy ones started to show symptoms after I had quarantined the original sick ones. This means 9 days of treatment for the initial two sick ones, and still no improvement. If anything, one has gotten worse. They were also diagnosed with having roundworms before but Doc had suggested to do antibiotics first and then Panacur 10% dewormer. More chickens are having evidence of worms in their poop and I feel like the sick ones are having difficulty recovering due to the worms. Should I still stick to plan or try something different?

Chickens are under a year and are barnyard mixes and White Leghorns. All free ranged, but kept inside since diagnosis. I have also been giving vitamin/electrolyte supplements in water on a daily basis.

Any advice is appreciated!

Hello all,

My vet gave me tri/sulfa (40mg/mL) to treat an upper respiratory infection for my flock. Bacteria were identified as Enterobacter and Galibacterium. I have been treating everyone for 4 days now after one of the healthy ones started to show symptoms after I had quarantined the original sick ones. This means 9 days of treatment for the initial two sick ones, and still no improvement. If anything, one has gotten worse. They were also diagnosed with having roundworms before but Doc had suggested to do antibiotics first and then Panacur 10% dewormer. More chickens are having evidence of worms in their poop and I feel like the sick ones are having difficulty recovering due to the worms. Should I still stick to plan or try something different?

Chickens are under a year and are barnyard mixes and White Leghorns. All free ranged, but kept inside since diagnosis. I have also been giving vitamin/electrolyte supplements in water on a daily basis.

Any advice is appreciated!
Hmm. I am no vet, but I had a chicken with respiratory symptoms and he treated for both gapeworm and an upper respiratory infection at the same time, to be on the safe side. I felt that was the best route and she did pull through. I would perhaps call and tell the vet symptoms are worsening at the very least, and perhaps ask about starting worm meds now instead of later. It's a shame vets' education, opinions, and experience, especially with chickens, is sort of all over the place. How're the chickens doing today?

Back
Top Bottom