Worms, Coccidiosis, or am I over-mothering?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 4EverOrp, Sep 26, 2018.

1. 4EverOrp

4EverOrp Chirping

Sep 26, 2018
    Devon, UK
    I am a new member, but have been viewing this site for a loooong time. Introduced myself just now on the new member section.

Our 17 week buff orpingtons have funny poo. Not all of them, not all the time, but never-the-less, not normal. This has been going on for several weeks now, and no change for the worse (if anything, it's a bit less frequent)

Worms? Coccidiosis? They behave and appear completely well in every other way.

I am against spending unnecessary money and have never used vets as local vets aren't chicken-friendly. However, these orp's are part of a long-term plan - they are excellent stock and we plan to breed them in the spring. I need to keep them healthy and well through the winter months.

I am in the UK.

I am thinking the best option would be to get a fecal test done for worms/coccidiosis - then at least I know what I am dealing with, if anything?

Anyone know where I can get this done in the UK? Any advice much appreciated...

2. 4EverOrp

4EverOrp Chirping

Sep 26, 2018
    Devon, UK
    20180909_195120.jpg 20180904_104753.jpg 20180909_195120.jpg 20180904_104753.jpg 20180904_154444.jpg

casportpony, rjohns39 and Shadrach like this.
  3. 4EverOrp

4EverOrp Chirping

Sep 26, 2018
    Devon, UK
    Some of these photos are a week or so old - there is much less of the red and more of the mustard poop now...

casportpony, rjohns39 and Shadrach like this.
  4. Shadrach

Shadrach Crowing

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I'm not a vet but I have dealt with Coccidiosis here. My experience has been that they catch it and go progressively downhill, not good days and bad days.
    The symptoms I saw here when the hens used to get Coccidia is they stop eating with the rest, eat progressively less, their heads sink into their hackles and droops towards their chests. They become lethargic and antisocial.
    You can treat your chickens with Coccivex, or similar as a precaution without causing them any harm. The only drugs I keep here are Coccivex and Flubenzadol. Imo all chicken owners should keep an anti coccidia drug.
    If chickens free range, Ime it is very difficult to tell from their droppings if they are ill, or have just eaten something that has given them a slightly bad stomach. It doesn't sound from your description of your chickens behaviour like they are ill.
    I know of one vet in the UK that my sister uses but he's in East Sussex. I'll try and get some contact details for you. They might know a vet or lab closer to you.

casportpony and rjohns39 like this.
  5. 4EverOrp

4EverOrp Chirping

Sep 26, 2018
    Devon, UK
    Thanks

Initially I knee-jerked, and treated them with 1 round of Coxoid - thinking it better to be safe than sorry. However, I am now less convinced that I have a clear diagnosis - and loth to fork out more money for drugs if I don't need to ;) - it all adds up so quickly...

6. 4EverOrp

4EverOrp Chirping

Sep 26, 2018
    Devon, UK
    Should have added that they are in a run most of the day, as we back onto woodland and have trouble with foxes. Their run is deep litter and we let them free-range under supervision for a while each day. They are such content birds compared to the hybrid variety we kept before - just happy chilling...
    They are fed a complete grower-pellet with occasional treats (not even every day)

casportpony and rjohns39 like this.
  7. Aapomp831

Aapomp831 Songster

Oct 4, 2017
    Lincolnton, NC
    Before you freak out, I just want you to know that the “bloody” looking poop may just be the natural shedding of the intestinal lining -
    Perfectly normal. There was recently an article in here lableled something like “all about the poop” and it really eased my mind about certain things. Look up that article - your chickens poops look completely normal to me.

sourland, puffypoo22 and rjohns39 like this.
  8. 4EverOrp

4EverOrp Chirping

Sep 26, 2018
    Devon, UK
    Thanks - I think I kinda thought that, but needed to hear it from someone else!

TBH we always kept cheap hybrid hens for eggs only - and now we have developed breeding pens of pure birds, I'm suddenly getting paranoid about their health - having come this far, it would be really gutting to loose them to something preventable....

rjohns39 likes this.
  9. Aapomp831

Aapomp831 Songster

Oct 4, 2017
    Lincolnton, NC
    I totally get it. I was actually rushing off to Tractor Supply to get some fancy meds when the article on poops showed up. Did you get a chance to find it? If you search under articles you should.

puffypoo22 likes this.
  10. 4EverOrp

4EverOrp Chirping

Sep 26, 2018
    Devon, UK
    I have seen that article (been browsing here for a looooong time!)
    The thing that worried me was somewhere a member stressed that yellow/foamy poop isn't normal....:confused: so then I got worrying :hmm

puffypoo22 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: