Worms detected in poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kenandlinda, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Kenandlinda

Kenandlinda New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    I was treating one of my sex link hens for bumblefoot and she pooped on a towel where I saw what I believe are roundworms. I bought Strike III and added it to their food. There were no instructions as to the length/frequency of treatment necessary to get rid of the worms. I have researched the web and it seems that 5 days is the treatment period for Strike III with re-treatment within 3 weeks for 2 more cycles. Is this correct? Also, my chickens are confined to a dirt run 14 feet x 4 feet. I need to know what to add to the dirt in the run to kill worms and worm larvae that must reside in the soil. Any suggestions? I know that the run has to be treated to kill what is already deposited in the dirt - just don't know what to treat it with that is safe for the hens but effective in killing the worms. So far, a brand new owner of 5 hens, I have conquered sour crop, impacted crop, and in the process of curing their bumblefoot. Now it's on to worms - just need some advice on what to do with this latest challenge. TIA, Ken

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I see no where that you give Strike III for 5days and the again in 3wks for 2 more cycles. I believe the StrikeIII is meant to be added to a 50lb bag of feed and fed continuously. I am not really familiar with the product so you may want to do some more research or call Durvet for more info.

Rooster Booster has the same "active ingredient" - Hygromycin B (which is an antibiotic) and it is to top dress the feed 3 days in a row once a month.

Good hygiene and keeping your run clean will be helpful in reducing parasite loads. I don't know of a treatment you could put in the run for prevention that would be chicken friendly. Chicken are constantly scratching and consuming soil.

Most people de-worm their flock once or twice a year. But the products on the market are ever changing. Things like the Strike III and Rooster Booster De-wormers are becoming popular, but I don't know how effective they are.

It sounds like you are doing well. Hang in there.

Just my opinion[​IMG]

https://www.drugs.com/vet/strike-iii-poultry-dewormer.html
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/Triple-Action-Multi-Wormer-20-oz-p1399.aspx
    https://hencam.com/henblog/2014/05/wormer-warning/

3. Kenandlinda

Kenandlinda New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Thanks for your reply and the links. Not sure what to do about the run - I may have to replace the dirt. I read that sand helps keep worm Larvae at bay ie, better than dirt, so maybe I should replace the dirt with sand. Not sure.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  5. Kenandlinda

Kenandlinda New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Thanks for reply. I found a product in England named Net-Tec ground sanitizing powder. They claim it will kill the worm larvae at every stage in the ground as well as in the coop. Safe for chickens. You powder the run with a light coating of the product. I have ordered it and will give it a try. Only negative is the cost, mainly shipping. There are no US suppliers yet.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Interesting. Let us know how it works[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by