Worms in Chicken Poo What to Do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Then I Will, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Then I Will

Then I Will Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Annville, Pennsylvania
    Came home from school today to hear that one of my girls has passed some worms. She's been broody the past two weeks.... anyway, it's not pumpkin season and I've never tried to worm before. Could some who has experience with worms and worming give me some flat out simple instructions.

Some people seem to think worms are natural, others, that if you see worms, your chicken will have a messed up G-tract. I want to go about the worming in the natural way, so how can I get ahold of the right pumpkin seeds, husks, flesh, whatever, can I use any molasses, mix it with feed? Simply, what should I do. Is this first sighting of worms a major cause for concern- I'm sure if one is pooping worms the others are infested too-
    On a side note my birds all appear very healthy and happy and remain clean. Thanks,

2. Then I Will

Then I Will Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Annville, Pennsylvania
    Forgot to mention, I have some Safeguard -not sure if it's for poultry but it is labled 1# per 100#. If I gave them that, would their eggs be safe to eat?

3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I like to use valbazen and alternate it with some other wormer. By the time you see worms they are taking their toll on the hens health.
    There is a link in my signature line about lots of information regarding worming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by