Worms in chicken poo!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by brandibaby23, Aug 5, 2011.

1. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    I saw worms the other day they were in watery poo, and looked like thread sized round worms. Idk what they were I wish i had a picture but there were alot of them. Anyway I priced some stuff. I bought some wazine but haven't used it yet. I also was suggested "Rooster Booster" Multi wormer. Wondered if anyone has heard of this or has used it. Because right now I have NO money. I scraped quarters together to buy the wazine. I priced DE, multi-wormer, sevin dust, python dust and have had no luck finding the ivermectin .8% drops. I am gonna go ahead and give the wazine today. any more suggestions? I know the birds have "bugs" No mites, but i am thinking lice but they are long tan like bug kinda resemble lice but I have seen them on my arm after holding a chicken.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Do the wazine first, but it sounds like you are going to need a broad spectrum wormer after that. I don't know a single one that is cheap. For worms and mites, I would suggest ivomec. You can do a search here on BYC for more info. on that.

3. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    Ok ivomec, is that right? What is that? I did do a thorough chicken inspection, and yes they do have "bugs" attached to their feathers not closest to the skin but on the shafts of the feathers, would this be lice? I have had chickens for the past 3 years and this is the first time I have noticed bugs or worms. NO WHAT [​IMG] I am just about to start a job on tuesday, finally in over a year!!! [​IMG] Will they be ok to wait for another week for treatment without any terrible health issues [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats on the job. [​IMG]

Here's some more info. on Ivomec:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=96773

Pay attention to what Dawg has to say. He's our resident wormy expert (sorry Dawg [​IMG] ).

It's a cattle wormer, used off label on chickens. Expensive, but most of them are. You might try jefferslivestock for it. I've always been pleased with their prices and fast shipping (bonus! right now they are offering free shipping). Their website is:

www.jefferslivestock.com

You should take care of it as soon as you can.

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I get the cheep ivermectin for horses at TSC. I use a bean sized blob for a large breed. I don't have bantums but I think its a pea sized blob. Sorry but since I retired my medical termanology has gone to pot, so has my spelling lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by