Worms in chicken run

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ashley22, Jun 13, 2016.

1. ashley22

ashley22 New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    I have 3 eight week old chicks. We live in Las Vegas and right now it is very hot. I put in a little water tray for them to dip their feet in when it's hot, recently when I went to refill the tray I noticed little worms underneath the tray. They kind of looked like mealworms or maybe even maggots? They soil and straw was obviously wet under the tray. I cleaned it out immediately but am worried that the chickens have been eating them. Should I be worried if they eat them?!
    Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. First post ever.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I had some what I think were centipedes that liked to hang out beneath my water container for my flock also. I moved it and put some fresh cut grass clippings/leaves under it and I haven't found any since (it hasn't been a long time though) or you could try putting it on a piece of wood. Also my hens ate the bugs and they are doing fine.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  3. ashley22

ashley22 New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    Now that I have researched more I am pretty sure they are maggots.
    I have been wetting the run to help them deal with the heat. How can I get rid of the maggots while still giving the girls the relief of the extra water?! And how worried should I be if they eat them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by