Worms in chicken's eggs???

chickenluver10

Chirping
Nov 7, 2017
Hello,
Twice this week I have found what I think are parasitic worm's eggs or larva. I plan to de-worm them soon and isolate the suspected chicken, any tips or input on the matter?
upload_2018-2-17_12-28-49.png

upload_2018-2-17_12-33-1.png
they look like some sort of larvae. They also look a little bloody. So just any helpful suggestions on what it might be or tips on how to take care of it better would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• WIN_20171108_11_59_41_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20171108_11_59_41_Pro.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 21
Oh I did not mean to post that attatched file down there, that is a picture of a sick chicken who died months ago. Sorry!! And I'll just add that I found the parasitic things inside the egg whites.

The pictures are not very clear but my guess is that those are meat spots rather than parasites or larvae. Meat spots are caused by a small bit of tissue from the reproductive tract getting in the egg during formation. They are not harmful, the eggs are still edible, but many people remove the spot with a spoon or edge of egg shell before using due to the ick factor. You can search on the internet for more images, they can be very, very tiny or larger like yours. Usually it's just a glitch in the birds system and not something worrisome.

While coach has put your mind at ease, I would like to add/suggest/remind that if you do ever do worm, it is best to worm the whole flock rather than Isolate one, and worm more than once.... If one has worms, chances are that the others may be very well incubating unhatched eggs in thier bodies as well. or you missed one! Futhermore you will want to treat their living area as well if penned.

Most wormers only paralize the worm, they dont killl the worm, so in reality many paralized worms starve to death after they release and are pooped out on the ground. Parasite eggs are not affected by most meds and can remain dormant in the body, and live in the ground for over a year in all weather.....Thus other birds may ingest the paralized worm, it may be full of eggs or they pick them up eating other feeds.
Worming once is never enough, so always worm 3 times (once every 2 weeks) as the eggs hatch and create larva in the body.

Yes, I am watching each hen closely for any signs of disease, and I have not found any more of those odd things in the eggs. Also, all their poop looks normal(as far as chicken poop goes) and they all appear healthy. I worm them regularly twice a year, so it looks like everybody needs another round, and if one particularly is looking ill or acting strange I isolate her as well as treat all of them because I am aware that it spreads quickly and everyone might have or get it. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom