Worms in diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eds500, Jul 14, 2011.

1. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I know for sure that 1, maybe 2, of my hens have had or still have diarrhea. I attributed it to the uptake of water due to the heat wave and that I have been feeding them watermelon as a treat. Today while cleaning the pen, I saw one of the hens poop diarrhea. Upon inspection, I saw little white worms about a 5mm in length squirming in the diarrhea. While bummed at least I saw it happen and found the culprit so I ordered Valbazen from Jeffers. Unfortunately I don't have a way to quarantine the bird that I saw so I'm going to treat all 6 hens. I'm lucky to have a small flock in that regard. I've had these since March so I consider myself lucky that avoided any problems until now. I'll miss the eggs during treatment but I know this has to be done for flock health.

Ed

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Treating all your birds is the way to go, Even if you don't see worms in their poop they most likely have them too.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Make sure there are not maggots on their butts. Check the vent area.

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Treat and prevent with DE, you can sprinkle it in the coop and food-safe in their feed.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:Agreed! 1 lb of DE per 50lb of feed.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Treating all your birds is the way to go, Even if you don't see worms in their poop they most likely have them too.

x2
    Valbazen kills all known worms that chickens can get including tapeworms.

7. melissahj

melissahj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Food grade diatomaceous earth is definitely the way to go! Sprinkle some in their food. As well you can put it out for the chickens to dust themselves with and this will kill any external parasites they may also have! If you go to the 13:40 mark of this youtube video you can see exactly how to do this. I saw this video and decided to try this method with my chickens and am very happy with the results!

8. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    The Valbazen arrived this afternoon and my wife helped me dose the hens tonight. Unfortunately, we lost a hen over the weekend and since we were out of town I don't know if she died Friday afternoon or Saturday afternoon. Though all were alive Friday morning. I found her in the nestbox on Sunday. So we're down to five. I'm assuming the one that died was the one that stricken by worms from looking at the healthier looking poop in the run since the death. She provided many eggs and for that we are grateful.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry for your loss. Redose the others again in 10 days. I wish you the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by