Worms in just one hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MetalFarm, Jan 31, 2015.

1. MetalFarm

MetalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    So I currently have one of my hens separated because my rooster has taken a liking to her and she has no feathers left on her head. I just went out to the garage and niticed she crapped on my motorcycle. There was a long red worm almost like an earth worm. She is the fattest hen in my flock which I find odd.

Also I just scraped my poop board with 4+ days of poop and didn't notice any worms whatsoever.

Is it possible for just one hen to get worms? Does this long red worm sound like a problem?

Do I need to de worm the hen in question? The whole flock? The goats? The dogs??

Thanks!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi I would worm all the chickens, then keep them on a worming schedule like every 4 months. Valbazen is popular and safeguard for goats is as well.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    "Long red worm" isnt a worm your hen excreted. It's shed intestinal lining.
    If you've never wormed your birds before, it might be a good time to do so...spring time is worm time. Follow Seminolewind's advice regarding what wormers to use.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    LOL , Dawg, guess I am waaaay off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by