Worms in poo!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickybae, Dec 22, 2014.

1. chickybae

chickybae Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2014
    Please can someone tell me what kinda worms these are and how to get rid of them??! They made my hen severely sick!! I don't want to lose her! :( she is very lethargic, doesn't want to move, seems very out of it, keeps her eyes closed, not eating or drinking, had a few siezure like symptoms yesterday, and is very fluffed up! Her poo was very yellow and watery and had lots of clear mucos. I made her drink some water with Apple cider vinigar (with mother) in it and a few hours later she pood and there were tons of wiggly worms!!!!! It smelt real bad too!! :(( idk if the vinigar helped them come out, or if they just finally made their way into her intestine! Please help me!! I love her so much! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Those are large roundworms. It appears that your hen is infested with them and most likely your other birds will have worms as well. If you've never wormed your birds before, I recommend that you use Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer as a first time wormer. Valbazen slowly kills all types of worms that chickens can get over several days and prevents internal blockage which could cause toxic dead worm overload and possibly kill a chicken.
    Administer the valbazen using a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 1/2cc given orally undiluted for standard size birds, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Redose all your birds again in 10 days with valbazen. If your feed store doesnt carry valbazen, you can order it from one of the links below:
    http://www.wholesalekennel.com/index.php?main_page=product_reviews&products_id=29
    http://www.jefferspet.com/products/valbazen-broad-spectrum-dewormer

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she's not drinking and eating you need to tube feed her. Seizures can be from dehydration or starvation. Get the tube, syringe, Pedialyte or Gatorade and I can teach you.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She should be brought inside and kept in a warm cage or room (80-85 degrees). Read this:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

She needs 15ml fluids per pound now, then again in 60-90 minutes and then a couple more times in the next 12 hours. Once hydrated, you can tube baby bird food.

-Kathy

5. Spring-Chicken

Spring-Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Would this be safe to give to 8 week old chicks? If so, at what dose? One of the reviews at Jeffers says 0.1cc:1lb, but that's for puppies.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

7. Pin Feather

Pin Feather Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2013
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    I went to the Jeffers website and they also have a safe and natural treatment called WormGuard Plus. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Or is the Valbazen the best bet?

8. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    As ill as your chicken is, I would seriously follow Dawg53's advice. The natural products are not going to get rid of those worms.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Get the Valbazen.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by