Worms in water bowl?

Aunt Rhodie

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
Hello all, new poster here although I've lurked for the last couple of years.

I have two separate flocks and a singleton hen that just appeared a couple of months ago. She's not fitting in with the mature birds so she just ranges the property by herself. She looked "homeless" when she first came but with proper nutrition she's looking sleek, glossy and has filled out some.

My question concerns pieces of something that are about an inch long that I find in her water bowl. They appear to be segments of something. I wormed her with Wazine but these come from her mouth. Once I did see some string or thin rope -- there's just no telling how that came about. But I continue to see these segments of something else. At first they were brown but today's findings were sort of light gray. I'm glad the other birds don't interact with her. I would love to know how to treat this hen. Thanks in advance for advice or suggestions.

X 2 to dawg's suggestion of pictures. Are the "worms" moving about or floating or? I ask because my first though on reading your post is that you are seeing mosquito larvae

Yes, I thought about photos after I freshened the water this morning. It might take a day or so. She used to "upchuck" these daily but now, not so often.

Ol Grey Mare, these appear to be segments. Each end seems to be unevenly "torn" off of a whole. There is no head or tail. They are not thin, but about the width of lay pellets. In fact, I wondered if they are lay pellets. I switched her to crumble, thinking she may have some sort of throat issue and might need softer food.

segments of a worm like structure sounds like a tapeworm which i dont know if chickens get I assume they could. They can being reguritated at least I know it can happen to a human....pic would help.

segments of a worm like structure sounds like a tapeworm which i dont know if chickens get I assume they could. They can being reguritated at least I know it can happen to a human....pic would help.

You are correct that poultry tapeworms are flat and segmented. However they excrete segments in feces, not from the mouth. If the proper wormer is used to kill them, sometimes parts of the tapeworm are excreted in feces as well. I've dealt with them, they can be tough to rid of.
Here's a pic what the segments look like:

Here's a poultry tapeworm:

No, I haven't seen anything that looks like these photos.

I totally appreciate all your input and I will try to get photos.

I took a photo of today's deposits in the water dish but they are on my phone. Could someone explain how to get them online? I'm kinda clueless about technology. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom