Worms? Intestine?

noodlegirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 25, 2011

I found this super gross thing on my patio this morning attached/next to the girls poo. They love to poo on the patio-urgh.

I got the courage to not throwup, put on rubber gloves & pulled a ziplock bag. There is definatley at least one worm. But is that her intestine??? I'm worried.

I'm off to the feed store to buy some dewormer. I read I have to throw out their eggs; do I throw all that I've previously collected or only after medicating.

Is there any risk to humans..as we've been eating their eggs on a daily basis? What about my dog? She's out in the yard with them daily?

We've only had them just barely a year and I'm a total novice.

Wow! That is pretty crazy. I am not completely sure what it is. What is inside it? If it were me I would cut it open and see if it looks like - you should better be able to tell if it is intestine or not.

Google image search chicken worms and compare pictures of the worms you do see the the different kind of parasites so you know what you are doing with. I can't tell from this pic.

Some worms, like round worm, can go from chicken to dog if the dogs are ingesting the chicken poop.

I believe you only need to stop eating the eggs that have been exposed to the medication. But, again, read up on the specific worm that you may have.

Hopefully someone else on here will know more.

Last edited:
Send an email with that picture to your state lab attn the head of pathology. First thing I thought when I saw it was intestine... Good Lord, never seen anything like that before.

Last edited:
Yikes! I'm not an expert but I doubt its intestine since there doesnt appear to be any blood. Could be something to do with the worms.
You can eat eggs from a chicken that has worms...its the wormer medication you want to avoid. It's toxic and that toxicity kills the worms.

So, I go bought the dewormer but since I only have THREE girls not 100, how in the world do I dose it? I put about 1 ml into 1 cup of water for them this morning. But I'm not sure if that is enough or too much. Anyone? Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom