1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worms, lice and mites(?). Oh my. (wazine 17)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HenPecked_bychildren, Oct 29, 2010.

1. HenPecked_bychildren

HenPecked_bychildren Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    So a week ago we traded a chicken with a friend. I didn't quarantine because it was a friend and I thought it wouldn't be a problem. UGH.( My poor baby that went to live with her.) [​IMG] Anyway, we redesigned our roost and added droppings boards(yesterday). This morning when I went out to see how it worked I noticed one of the droppings had MAJOR worms. I am pretty sure they are round worms, it looks like spaghetti. So my DH immediately took her out, I checked her and she also has lice(they are semi transparent right?) so I'm guessing she could possibly have mites as well.

So now my very healthy flock has been exposed to all biggies. What do we do? We "got" rid of her. We obviously need to worm the rest of the flock. But what about the ground in the run? How do we get rid of the worms there?

How do we treat for mites/lice? Do we seven dust them all and the ground? Using DE is out because there is no where local to get it and we need to take care of this immediately.

Edit: The local feed store had wazine 17. We have 6 chickens in one coop and 11 chickens in the other coop. How do we use this wormer most effectively? Is it safe to still eat their eggs? Do we need to toss them, if so for how long?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend using Valbazen (albenbazole) to worm your chickens. It's a liquid cattle/sheep wormer that can be purchased at a feed store or at jeffers livestock.com or you can call them at the number on their website. Dosage is 1/2 cc for standard size chickens, 1/4cc for smaller chickens and must be given orally to each chicken. Retreat in 14 days with Safeguard paste which is an equine wormer. Dosage is a "pea" size amount orally for each chicken. Discard eggs for 14 days after using valbazen and 14 days after using safeguard. For lice/mites I recommend sevin dust. Dust your chickens and their house, roosts and nests. Repeat in dusting everything in 10-14 days including chickens. Treating the ground is a waste of time IMO, if the chickens feet touch the ground, they will eventually get worms. DE is mainly used as a drying agent and may be a lice/mite preventative, but not a treatment.

3. HenPecked_bychildren

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    Okay, so we culled the culprit bird. Should I just wait to treat the rest to see if they also get worms? Or go ahead and be proactive? They were together in the same coop/run for 4 days.

What about the mites/lice? Should I treat the roosts and ground and nests with some sevin and hold off on actually treating my birds unless I start to see lice/mites? Or do it all before they get too bad? Is it likely that they already have them since they were with her for 4 days?

Also what is the egg with drawl period for using sevin? Is it also 2 weeks?

4. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I'm sorry, but why did you cull the new one? Couldn't she have been quarantined and treated for the parasites? Your others had already been exposed, so you are going to have to treat them anyway. I'm not trying to be rude, just wondering why you culled her. [​IMG]

5. HenPecked_bychildren

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    Quarantining her would have cost more money because we would have had to build something to put her in. [​IMG]

She was badly infested with lice or mites, something. There were just dozens and dozens crawling around on her skin. Not trying to hide or anything. I flipped her over in the broad daylight and it was bad.

My fault for not checking her to begin with. I assumed my friend was taking care of her chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by