worms= no eggs ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ldrwnorman47, Nov 29, 2010.

1. ldrwnorman47

ldrwnorman47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    I have around 33 chickens. 25 of them this years pullets. I know with the change of light and cold weather they will lay less eventually BUT i also heard that pullets should lay for a long time before going on a nnhatural break. I was getting 16 eggs a day. Now I am down to 4 one day 1 the next and that continues. I have added 2 lights for the extra hours needed. I added 10 chcickens about 6 weeks ago. Would the chickens having worms effect their laying ??????PLEASE HELP ME. I have customers that want eggs!!

2. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Worms can steal the necessary nurishment the birds need to produce the eggs.

If they free range at all, it is wise to look for a hidden nest somewhere, you would be surprised and esp since many are pullets, they were not as conditioned to go to the nest box to lay, plus the dominant hen may not allow the new hens into the nest boxes.

Lastly, any changes, including adding or losing birds to the flock can cause interuptions in the laying cycle for the birds.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  3. ldrwnorman47

ldrwnorman47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    I thought by now the chickens would be back to normal. I think i will worm them just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by