Worms - not mealies, but garden worms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nxb161, Feb 23, 2014.

1. nxb161

nxb161 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    NorthEast Pennsylvania
    I've been breeding mealworms for about a year now, but wanted to try a regular worm farm. Some for chickens to eat, but mainly for composting and getting castings for growing veggies, which will make their way to the chickens. Does anyone know anyone that sells worms? I know there is a list of meal worm sellers, but I couldn't find any for garden worms.
    Thanks!

2. scrambled freud

scrambled freud Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    Lebanon Ohio
    Bait shop? My son brought me some home from there.

3. nxb161

Jan 22, 2013
    NorthEast Pennsylvania
    Thanks, I thought of that, but I think that would be an expensive way to get started. I found some online for 1000worms for 30bucks, but wondered if there was any better pricing than that. If anyone has bought any would like some real reviews, hate to spend that cash then get a bunch of tiny or half dead worms. I was hoping we had some worm farmers here like we do with the mealies.

4. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
  5. nxb161

Jan 22, 2013
    NorthEast Pennsylvania
    I was planning on getting them from Uncle Jim's but I only need 2000, and it looks like it is an additional $12 just for shipping if I don't order 5000 worms. So far no luck finding any local ones on craigslist. I have tubs ready to go, just need to get the worms in there and toss in some scraps.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I used to farm red wrigglers. I'm sure you can Google and find a company shipping them.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    A few years ago I looked into this--

THe worms used to digest compost is a specialty worm. They thrive well in that design.

The bait worms are a different worm, are don't do as well in the compost set up as I remember, but I could be remembering wrong.

Try red worms-- that comes to mind.

You should be able to find all this on line with some searching-- goodness knows I did and I am not great at finding anything on the web.

This is a good time to be looking for resources as these cannot be shipped in the cold months.

Have fun on your new adventure!!

8. nxb161

Jan 22, 2013
    NorthEast Pennsylvania
    Yup, did a lot of research, red wigglers are the way to go. I was hoping someone had some experience from ordering them from somewhere different than just a google search.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't even remember where I got those I started with. Half of my basement was stacked high with worm boxes. In the right conditions they multiply rapidly.

10. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I got my original batch from an ebay dealer, I think I found them on ebay but then went directly to their site where it was cheaper. I ended up getting rid of that bin but recently restarted a new bin after getting chickens.

To populate the new bin I just collected worms from my compost and also a horse manure pile I have access to. It took a little longer than buying an order but has yeilded the same results for zero $$.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by