worms or coccidiosis or what

wjmiller

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Hen treated with corid thought she was better she shakes her head opens her beak drinks constantly weak stumbles should i treat for worms first or for coccidiosis with corid thanks

Michael Apple

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Northern California
Hen treated with corid thought she was better she shakes her head opens her beak drinks constantly weak stumbles should i treat for worms first or for coccidiosis with corid thanks

I need some more info. You treated the hen with Corid. Powder or 9.6% solution? What was the dosage and for how long? What do the droppings look like as far as consistancy and color? Does the bird have an appetite? Is the crop swollen first thing in the morning before she eats?

Last edited:

wjmiller

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
We started with corid one day but we are not sure what course of action to follow.1st she was stumbling droopy feathers and tail she ate and drank we thougt sour crop or blockage or egg binding.we fed yogurt mash gave warm bath she layed an egg tues and wed.she acted better but she drinks constantly she has runny poop shakes her head opens beak like cant get air. Her crop is not really big kind of soft fed her crumbled up feed. At a loss what to do next.tthought worms cause sh is so skinny but no bloodin poop. Also we had one to die a week ago she threw uup and died within 5 min thanks

Michael Apple

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Northern California
We started with corid one day but we are not sure what course of action to follow.1st she was stumbling droopy feathers and tail she ate and drank we thougt sour crop or blockage or egg binding.we fed yogurt mash gave warm bath she layed an egg tues and wed.she acted better but she drinks constantly she has runny poop shakes her head opens beak like cant get air. Her crop is not really big kind of soft fed her crumbled up feed. At a loss what to do next.tthought worms cause sh is so skinny but no bloodin poop. Also we had one to die a week ago she threw uup and died within 5 min thanks

If I were you, I'd start treating for Blackhead (Histomoniasis). It is caused by a protozoa, not bacterial or viral. Like coccidiosis, it is a protozoan, but of a different kind. It is usually carried by earthworms or cecal worms. Chickens get very thirsty, their appetite decreases, drowsiness, weakness, yellow-brown droppings, watery or foamy droppings, and they become thin.

Canker tabs can cure it. Metronidazole is the medication in canker tabs and will kill the protozoa. Get yourself some 250 mg Flagyl from a vet. A standard breed should get 250mg a day for 5 days. Give half that to a Bantam. If you can't get it from a vet, call around some aquarium stores in your area and see if they carry a product called Fish-Zole. It is the same thing (Metronidazole). Let us know how it goes.

You'll want to worm the bird(s) with Valbazen as it contains Albendazole about 4 days after the last canker tab. Get the solution and give 1/2 cc orally. Then do it again 10 days later. That's what I would do. I think getting the symptoms of the protozoa under control, then knocking out the possible cecal worms is the best bet.

Last edited:

wjmiller

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Could not find fish zole orr canker tabs thanks will try another place tomorrow

wjmiller

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Up date on hen we had to order fish zole and we did around of fenbendazzole and she got alot better.we stopped and started her on fish zole because thought it could be black head.n0w her poop is green and runny again and her comb is pale and her crop did not empty out over night. At a loss of what to do. Should i do valbazen and forget fish zole or what?

tackleberry

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
OZ
My chicken is lethargic also. Wings drooping, crop still full in the mornings and runny greenish diarrhea that smells horrible. Just like a humans, who has a very bad case of the flu. I have been giving her amprol, and tetracycline and olive oil along with baby vitamins. She is still real crummy looking with bad cyanotic comb. Her comb started out just a bit of a blueish tint now her whole comb has gone blue. Any suggestions???

the amprol is a 20% powder

Last edited:

Top Bottom