Worms or Coccidiosis?????

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by shelleyshennies, Jul 8, 2016.

1. shelleyshennies

shelleyshennies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2014
    Hello, I am very worried about my peacock; Kevin, about 2 weeks ago we finally let him out of our aviary to roam our 2 acres. Over the past few days I noticed him moving around less and less. Before he would call outside my window in the morning and follow me around with curiosity while I worked outside. Now he will wander around very slowly between 3 places; the front yard in the morning,a 'spot of the day' (where he lies down for a good 6 hours), and the backyard where he sleeps. He doesn't make any vocalizations any more, I never see him eat, not even his favorite treats, he has clear runny poops with white in the center, his wings appear to droop. We have had 100 degree weather but it has been down in the 90's the last few days and I feel that I can't say he is tired from the heat anymore due to the nice cool down and the fact that I constantly hear another peacock calling all day long off in the distance. I know in summer chickens will drink a lot and as a result have diarrhea, but Kevin is definitely suffering from something other than the heat. Based on my research, he is showing symptoms of worms and possibly Coccidiosis. I have safeguard for when we worm our chickens, but have never dealt with Coccidiosis. Which do I treat him for? Am I being too concerned? Is Coccidiosis a possibility? I hate seeing him so down in the dumps. He used to be so curious and strut around, now he sulks and sleeps. He is my first peacock. Sorry for making this so long winded. Any input would help, I just want to be sure that if we have to catch and treat him that it is the right treatment the first time.

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Poor Kevin!
    I'm sure the pea health experts will be here soon to give you advice. It does sound like the heat could be one factor in his ill health, but you are very right to be concerned - by the time they look and act sick, they can already be very sick indeed.

If you can take pictures of Kevin and of his poop I'm sure it will help get you the correct advice.
    And have you browsed this lovely thread for poop comparisons?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/941731/peafowl-poop-normal-and-abnormal-lots-of-poop-pictures

3. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    This is absolutely a very sick Peacock you have here. You can treat him for Worms, Coccidiosis, and Black Head simultaneously. @casportpony can help you with the different meds and dosages. She is our hero when it comes to saving Pea lives.

4. sasglm

sasglm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2014
    Central North Carolina
    Yea, I would dose him with some Safeguard ASAP. That sounds just like one of mine from a year ago and the Safeguard worked wonders for me. in 2 days he perked up and was back eating in 4-5 days. Remember though to do the dosing again 10 days later also to kill the eggs too.
    gary

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @shelleyshennies , would be best to get him to a vet, but if that is not an option you should probably treat for worms, coccidiosis, blackhead, enteritis, and possibly E. coli. You will also need to learn how to tube fluids if he isn't drinking on his own.

Safeguard for worms - 0.23 ml per pound orally for five days
    Corid or AmprMed (amprolium) for coccidiosis - let me know if you can get powder or liquid and I'll calculate a dose for you.
    Metronidazole (FishZole) for blackhead and enteritis - 11 mg per pound orally twice a day for no less than 5 days
    Baytril for E. coli - 4.5 mg per pound for 3-5 days

Fluids via tube - 10-15 ml per pound, repeat in 60-90 minutes if crop has cleared, then again in 2-4 hours.
    Tube Feeding Links

-Kathy

6. shelleyshennies

Jul 10, 2014
    Ok great!! Thank you everyone for replying, I will get him back into the aviary, start the safeguard, and search for the other medications. I appreciate your help so much!

7. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    He is sick, 100 is not that much for peacocks.

8. shelleyshennies

Jul 10, 2014
    [​IMG] This is a picture of one of his poops from 2 days ago.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    looks like dehydration poop. I would tube lots of fluids to him.

-Kathy

10. shelleyshennies

Jul 10, 2014
    Ok I was able to get the liquid corid, so I have the safeguard and corid to give him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by