1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

worms or maggots - HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kudzu vine, Jul 27, 2011.

1. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    Just noticed Bobbie (BR) walking funny. Looked like she had pasty butt, but when I caught her and looked - YUK looked like little maggots below where she poops. Had chickens for many years but never noticed the hole where the egg comes out. They are either in the "egg hole" or it's a sore. Any advice?

2. kudzu vine

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    OK..just looked it up and the egg comes from same hole as poop. However, the duct design doesn't allow egg and poop to make contact. Sound right? if this is so, she has a sore that is infested. Now, what should I use?

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Can you talk apicture it would help in diagnosing alot.....[​IMG]

4. kudzu vine

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    I'm getting ready to try - it won't be pleasant and thanks for replying

5. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Not a problem....maggots are very round plump white, about 1/2" long and look sort of like pantent leathert and worms look more like white heavy thread...

6. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    wash her up and remove any outside worms either maggots or internal worms. Check to make sure there is not any tissue exposed from a prolaspe vent too. maggots could have been laid on the exposed tissue, on a sore or on any excess poop stuck to her butt, so I think first thing is to clean her up and you will get more info on her situation. if they are coming form her intestines than she will need to be treated for internal parasites and yes you are correct on the anatomy "down there"

7. kudzu vine

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    I really believe it's maggots. Couldn't take picture - but looked again and believe it's a really bad infection. Probably shouldn't have done this, but poured peroxide over sore - bubbled. I know she probably needs something oral, but what?

8. kudzu vine

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    tammye - thanks. Did wash her up. Doesn't look like instestinal problem but some type of wound.

9. kudzu vine

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    can chickens handle amoxocillin?

10. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I would clean that wound and put an antibiotic ointment on it and keep her separated from the others until she heals, chickens can survive quite a bit when it comes to wounds, if after cleaning it up by tomorrow it looks worse then I would think about oral antibiotics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by