worms or maggots in my chicken wound dog attacke

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pumpkinpiecoffe, Oct 5, 2012.

1. pumpkinpiecoffe

pumpkinpiecoffe Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2012
    my chickens got attacked by a dog and we had to put two of them down and one is in bad shape and she has some worms or something on the wounds and i don't know what to do and she also has maybe a broken leg and it seams like she has a pocket on her side between her skin/fat and her muscles and i scared to put anything in it...the wound is on her back and has no tail feathers.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    how long ago was this? I had a chicken attacked by a husky, I used Betadine scrub and cleaned her up the best I could, and filled her wounds with neosporin, but there's plenty of "animal" products you can use too. Do you have a vet nearby that could look at her? and avian dr should be able to help you at least a bit. as for the broken leg- search broken leg in the fourms there are LOTS of different splinting methods you can try.

3. pumpkinpiecoffe

Oct 5, 2012
    it happend about 11 hours ago and i dont know of any vets near by

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Maggots in the wound is not necessarily bad. They eat infection and dying flesh. People doctors sometimes intentionally put them in people wounds to save limbs from having to be amputated. Awesome stuff.

I would make sure that the wounds are very well cleaned and use non-pain reliever neosporin (the pain kind is bad for birds). Keep her warm and isolated and very clean. Search the threads here for broken wings and wounds for lots of good info.

5. pumpkinpiecoffe

Oct 5, 2012
    i just checked on her and she pooped green and she is trying to sleep but the bug that are on her wounds are really hard to get off they are vary vary tiny would isopropyl alcohol help?

6. pumpkinpiecoffe

Oct 5, 2012
    HELP!

7. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    try pulling them out with a tweezers, or if you have some bedatine or chorlexidine or something like that mix it with water and try flushing them out? I bet if you did a google search for avian vets in your zip code you could find a vet nearby that could help you. it's hard trying to tell someone what to do when you aren't there to see it yourself. :/

8. pumpkinpiecoffe

Oct 5, 2012
    the bugs are to small for tweezers

9. HannahC1198

HannahC1198 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    If they are just normal fly maggots leave them for a day or tow they grow substantially in size and then you can use tweezers to get them out. But if you are really worried make a very weak mixture of water and salt put it in a syringe and try to losen them with the water and eventually flush them out if they are stubborn you can get a toothpick and cut off the tip so it's dull and use it to pry them out. Then I would put anti-bacterial ointment (no pain reliever) on the wound and bandage it loosely. My duck was attacked by a dog and got maggots in his leg and I had to get them out. Good luck! [​IMG]

10. pumpkinpiecoffe

Oct 5, 2012
    sorry to report but my and i dad called time of death 7:03 :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by