Worms or Mereks?

BigECart

Songster
Jul 3, 2020
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
18 month black minorca, pale wattles, low energy. I have 6 from this hatch, Gen 3. McMurray, vaccinated (Generation 3).

History: Flock has never been treated for worms or mites. Generation 1: purchased locally, first pullet started fading after a week. Ultimately lost 8 of 10, necropsy results were Merek’s. Gen 2: McMurray, vaccinated for coccidia and mereks. One chick got coccidia, and later merek’s. Became a house chicken and recovered from merek’s and was returned to flock. Have had 2 of my remaining Gen 2 hens (8 years old, started with 10) put down in the last couple of months, both lost use of legs. I still have 3 from this hatch, one is weaker than she used to be, spends her days chilling under a bush. I think just old age. Other 2 seem fine. Remaining Gen 3 hens are happy, healthy, and 4 of the 5 are laying.

Mites/lice: I see no signs of any live bugs or eggs. We’ve examined her twice. Feather shaft and skin look clean, even around vent/under wings.

So I think that this hen either has worms or merek’s. I tried to get my vet to do a fecal float but they refused. I have treated her with Safeguard and will do the rest of the flock today. She is in my brooder in the house.

What’s my next step? Find another dewormer in case it’s worms that Safeguard doesn’t treat? How should I treat her anemia? Does anyone else have experience with Merek’s in vaccinated birds? Pretty sure my first flock had anemia with merek’s. I don’t think the hen who recovered did. If I remember right, her comb stayed red, she had good energy, just couldn’t walk for a couple of months.

Marek's symptoms can vary quite a bit from bird to bird, depending on the strain and what part of the birds system is affected. Mareks has four common strains of cutaneous, visceral, occular and neural. Safeguard will treat most of the common parasites except tapeworm and coccidia if dosed correctly, so if it doesn't help then the issue may not be parasites. If you don't know what parasite you are treating for then the Safeguard should be given at .23ml per pound of bird weight for 5 days in a row. There are mail in options for fecals if needed:
https://www.chewy.com/perfect-pet-p...U5RywdJbAkAPdhiC98ghY-vtgUvooQKMaAlr4EALw_wcB
The Marek's vaccine does not stop the birds from contracting Marek's, it only stops them from developing the tumors associated with it. And as with all vaccines, there is not a 100% guarantee of efficacy in all cases.
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/marek’s-disease-backyard-chickens

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm kinda leaning towards it being Mereks, given that I think that's what some of my older birds were showing symptoms of. Maybe it's flaring in my flock as my older hens' immune system is weakening. I will keep treating her with Safeguard, and hopefully she will pull through. If it is Merek's, she probably won't - the hen I successfully rehabilitated had paralysis, but this seems more digestive so I expect if it is Merek's she will continue to weaken.

Back
Top Bottom