Worms? *poop pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kuntrychick, Nov 3, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I have never had to deal with worms in my chickens, but now I'm concerned that they may have that problem.

This morning I went out to do my daily routine of stirring their poop up in the deep litter & in one of the nest boxes was some poop that most of it looked normal, but sitting on top of the normal poop was some more runny poop & I saw in it what looked like a little white worm. Also, there was this weird pinkish looking thing, almost salmon colored that I wasn't sure what it was (some kind of flesh or insides? Or some food like a piece of tomato?) & it appeared to have a white looking worm on it or coming out of it? I didn't see anymore of these possible worms, but I didn't dig in the poop either...lol. (pics below)

I have been giving my chickens pumpkins & pumpkin seeds lately, so I wasn't sure if the pumpkin caused whatever this is to be expelled or if treatment is needed.

If treatment is needed, what treatment do I need to use because I've read about several different treatments....Wazine, Ivermectin, Safeguard, etc. I've read some parasites are resistant to some of the treatments. I wasn't even sure if treatment is needed. I haven't seen any unusual behavior (other than hardly any eggs that I thought was due to molting, cooler weather, & less daylight hours) or anything or any other abnormal poops.

Here's two pics of what I saw....notice the little "worm" looking thing in the runnier poop & the salmon colored thing (whatever that is) with a white looking "worm" thing on it or coming out of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I've never wormed my birds but you definately need to worm yours or atleast I would. I would use Wazine 17 if my chickens get worms.

3. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    After looking at the poop chart (if I looked at the right thing), this does not look like the worm pics there. These are not long & skinny enough for that. If anything, this looks closer to the fly maggots. ????

4. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    search for valbazen on here....that wormer works really good! it looks like they may have worms....

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

OR, go and get a few pumpkins, a few garlic cloves chopped up and feed the chickens the pumpkin guts and garlic. Nice natural wormer and you won't have to toss any eggs. Yes it works.

6. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:I have been feeding them pumpkins lately so I wasn't sure if that's what made this be expelled or not or if further treatment is needed.

7. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    And what is that salmon colored looking thing? I did cut up a tomato & feed it to them just 2 days ago...could it be that or is it something to be concerned about?

8. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:I would worm the whole flock just to be safe. Even if what is there is nothing more than something that was hunted down and eaten in the yard, it could be the pumpkin seeds have flushed one or three loose from one of your birds. While they do make a good preventative, I would not rely upon them to take care of a true infestation. Wazine, available for minimal $$ at a TSC (look in the swine/goat area) should do the trick. If you notice a large amount of flushed out worms after the Wazine, do a search here for a few other wormers and head back to TSC. A large portion of the other suggested wormers here (Valbazen, Strongid, etc.) can be found in the horse/cattle section of TSC in handy dandy dispensing syringes in paste form. A dab on a piece of bread or tortilla per bird and you are good to go. Nice thing is that the syringe has a cap to put back on it so you can store it for the next go around in a few months. Most of these single dose (for a horse anyway) syringes are priced at or around $10 at my local TSC.

The red/salmon thing looks a bit like some pumpkin guts that went through the food to fertilizer processing a bit fast.

9. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    How much of the Wazine do I use & do I put it in their water or what?

Is it ok for the 9 and 19 week olds?

If in water, is it ok if my dogs drink it? And what do I do about my dog's pail of water like if the chickens go drink from it instead of their treated water?

So, would it be best to go ahead & use one of the paste forms & directly feed it just to my older birds where I don't have to worry about treating water or the younger ones or my dogs?

10. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I would worm to be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by