worms, sorry there are pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Celiandy, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Celiandy

Celiandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    So I found a bit of blood in the coop yesterday, today I looked again and there was some more and worms [​IMG]

I am having trouble finding pics online to identify them, so if any of you know your worms, maybe you could help a girl out. Google pictures of chicken worms is pretty nauseating..

Would Wazine work them?

Thanks!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They look like large roundworms, use wazine first. Ten days later use a 2nd wormer and redose your chickens to get rid of other types of worms, including roundworm larva. For a second wormer, you can choose; valbazen, safeguard or ivermectin.

3. jh7192

jh7192 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    Taneytown MD
    The red objects in the photo do not look like worms. If you really think your birds have worms, contact a veterinarian. He will send you a container to collect the feces. A fecal float can then determine the species of worms present and their numbers. If you are unable to locate a veterinarian in your area who will do this for you, email me at [email protected]. I'll help you directly. Have you wormed the birds recently?

4. Celiandy

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    Quote:What could they be other than worms? They looked just like worms to me, stretchy long pinkish things [​IMG]

Thanks for the offer of help! I have never wormed my birds, they are pretty young, except for 1, and I never thought of it. We do have a vet near us that we take our dog to, I'll check with them and see if they do can do it.

Could they be gapeworms? I have had some head shaking lately. Do gapeworms get that long? I haven't really gotten into the sample, they seem at least 4' long.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  5. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
  6. Celiandy

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    Quote:Interesting, it does kind of look like intestinal lining. Thanks for that link.

7. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Quote:What could they be other than worms? They looked just like worms to me, stretchy long pinkish things [​IMG]

Thanks for the offer of help! I have never wormed my birds, they are pretty young, except for 1, and I never thought of it. We do have a vet near us that we take our dog to, I'll check with them and see if they do can do it.

Could they be gapeworms? I have had some head shaking lately. Do gapeworms get that long? I haven't really gotten into the sample, they seem at least 4' long.

Thats just intestinal sloughing,,And no, gapeworms dont get that big

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by