Worms to Respiratory Issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DyausPitir, Feb 22, 2017.

1. DyausPitir

DyausPitir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    I have an Ameraucana rooster who I recently bought and he quickly within the first week became extremely lethargic and losing lots of weight. I diagnosed as worms specifically round worms and gape worm (I was unsure of Gape worm until he actually coughed one up). He has been on a treatment of safeguard fenbendazole for a few days now and is not showing any signs of improvement. My next theory is that now that the worms are gone he has succumb to a respiratory infection. He is still eating and drinking very little and is lethargic. He hardly opens his eyes. He has continued to gape and now sounds like a gurgling is occurring when he does. we have switched to giving him an antibiotic we have used before, but i am not sure if it is any good anymore, it seems like some moisture got in it and there was a little caking at the top. I believe it is a version of tetracycline. I have some Tylan 50 on order. I am curious to know if anyone has any other suggestions or things I might try?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I do not know how you are doing the safe guard but I know from using It a lot that mixed in their only drinking water will clear up their worm problem in 3 days. I have only given tylan50 and never tried anything else. I know with a bad case of worms---tape worms for me it gets them down so low their immune seems to be down and they can catch other sickness easier. I usually see some improvement in a few days and a lot of weight gain in a month. I have used vet-rx but it did not seem to do much good. Good Luck

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do you have any human antibiotics? How much Safeguard did you use?

4. DyausPitir

DyausPitir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    no human antibiotics I can use, but the Tylan 50 should be here monday. The safeguard dosage I used varied a little bit as info here has been somewhat conflicting. The first day I was using an 8 to 1 cc water to safeguard mix but then changed to a 3cc per gallon of water based on more information I found. The info I have found on dosing for that has been terribly conflicting but I think the worm issue has been taken care of. I am no longer seeing roundworms in his stool and can see no gape worms in his throat.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The 3 cc gallon amount is not enough. This book says 30 mg/kg for 5 days, which is 0.14 ml per pound orally for five days, or a 5 pound bird would get 0.7 ml orally for five days.

Gapeworm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And many people use this:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, the more pressing issue is the possibility that he has a respiratory infection, and he probably can't wait until Monday to start treatment. Can you take him to a vet?

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If you need to mix some more in the future---Quit looking, From the State Vet----10 ml per gallon of fresh water, mixed fresh every morning--pouring out the old if any is left. That's 2 1/2ml per quart if you need a smaller amount. No need to mix more than you need----Shake the bottle---let it sit a few---then draw out the proper amount for the water you using----mix good. Do not allow any other water and no free ranging for sure if they can find other water. This works, used it many times with a flock of up to 1200+.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FYI, Safeguard is not very water soluble and will settle very quickly, so it's best to give it orally. Disclaimer... I am not a vet, but neither is the man that runs First State, he just calls himself a Dr.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  10. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    FYI SafeGuard does its job and mixes good enough----the little that settles in the bottom does not hurt it doing what it was mixed for. My directions came from a DVM for the state---a Doctor that has spent her time in school. I have No problem with whom ever gives it orally. Do that if you want. The ones that do not feel good giving orally or had a hundred to do----Mix it in water---It works and gets the worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by