worms YUCK!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by eeiko321, Nov 24, 2008.

1. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    hi guys

i just noticed a dropping that was moving.....then i realised 4 wiggling worms in a dihorea looking dropping. I'm not sure which hen out of the 2.

so Ive just added some worming solution in their water

what causes this? if anyone knows?

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Roundworms? They are a parasite that lives in nearly any mammal or bird. Their life cycle can be accessed by "googling" the word Ascarid. I hate them too!

And by the way---they can easily infect humans.

3. eeiko321

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:how is that acheived? i guess by not washing hands after carrying them?

4. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    here is some info on those ickie things.

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/disparas.htm

"One of the most common parasitic roundworms of poultry (Ascaridia galli) occurs in chickens and turkeys. Adult worms are about one and a half to three inches long and about the size of an ordinary pencil lead. Thus, they can be seen easily with the naked eye. Heavily infected birds may show droopiness, emaciation and diarrhea. The primary damage is reduced efficiency of feed utilization, but death has been observed in severe infections"

"Available drugs remove only the adult parasite. The immature form probably produces the most severe damage. The treatment of choice is piperazine. Many forms of piperazine are produced, and all are effective if administered properly. Piperazine is only effective for treating this parasite. It has no effect on other internal parasites of fowl. Follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully."

ml

5. eeiko321

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:well when i saw the moving dropping...im not sure if it was from them or s foreign bird... cause small sparrows can actually get in through the netting.
    but either way... i surprised the chickens didn't peck at it...since you know how chickens love to eat wiggly things like worms.

well its been the first treatment of worming solution in their water.
    i haven't noticed anything in the droppings today unless they ate it?
    any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by