1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Thermocandy

Thermocandy New Egg

Jun 26, 2015
    Hi Chicken Brains Trust,

2 weeks ago I notices worms in my chickens poo. I wormed them with some stuff you put in the water. Saw no more worms in the poo for a week after,

We have been away for a week and upon cleaning the coop out this morning I have noticed more worms in the poo but these are smaller, maybe half the size. Are these just the worms leaving the chickens system or a sign I need to re-worm? All 4 chickens are laying and look the healthiest that they have ever been.

Do I need to treat any surroundings for worm eggs?

I have also heard that adding condy's crystals to the water all the time you give your chickens a natural all wormer protection. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks,

Candice

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Some de-worming agents advise a second treatment (duration varies) as the first one kills the living worms, but not the eggs, so the second treatment kills them before they themselves lay eggs.

3. pulp2paper

pulp2paper New Egg

May 4, 2015
    Can worms cause chickens to appear blind and cause death on about the 3rd day?

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I am curious about how you think a water purifier would worm chickens?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  5. CTKen

Jan 30, 2015
    Im not sure what goes into a water purifying tablet (or whatever) but i would assume that chlorine will be there (among others). I would very much doubt that the weak concentrations of any active ingredient would be sufficient to worm chickens. As worms can actually attach themselves to the gut etc, then a specific wormer is by far the best solution i would think.

CT

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

That is exactly why I was asking the OP why she/he thought a water purifier would worm chickens.......

7. Thermocandy

Thermocandy New Egg

Jun 26, 2015
    I didn't know want they were used for only that a friend told me that that was how they used them. I was seeking more information/clarification here.

It appears my friend is misinformed.

8. amygop

amygop Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    Found evidence of worms in chicken poo this morning. Skinny little white ones. Not sure what kind they are. Ran up to the feed store and bought 2 different products not knowing which would be better. One on left (Wazine 17) appears to be well known frequently used, add to water, treats roundworms. One on right (Rooster Booster Multi-wormer Triple Action) was intriguing to me because it listed 3 different kinds of worms, you add to feed.

Anyone have experience with either one?
    Suggestions?

[​IMG]

9. CTKen

Jan 30, 2015
    I have no experience with those particular ones, but i would think that all de-wormers are broad spectrum affairs, so i would not worry which you chose to use. Personally i prefer to use a de-wormer that is added to drinking water - less chance of waste (if it was in food) and a guarantee that all birds will have their share of the medicine.

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by