1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worms?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stephv, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Stephv

Stephv New Egg

Jul 26, 2015
    Central california
    Hi my chickens are about a yr and a half and I've never had any issues. They look healthy, eat well, and get free roam of our tenth of an acre from about 10am until dark when they put themselves to bed. When not roaming there are six of them inside a run that is 12x10 plus a coup that is 4x10. When I went to let them out this morning I noticed one of their watering nipples was stuck open and leaking into the sand so I fixed it but looking into the puddle I noticed these worm looking things. Does anyone know what these are? I looked at their poops from last night and I'm not seeing any inside the poop just this puddle. If they are inside my chickens what do you suggest using to help them? Thanks a bunch

[​IMG]

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Could those be mosquito larvae? We call them "wiggle tails" in the South. :)

Other than that, do you see anyone losing weight, pale in the face, hunching, puffed up, lethargic, or going off food/water? Any watery, unusual poops?

MrsB

3. Stephv

Stephv New Egg

Jul 26, 2015
    Central california
    Hi thanks for the reply. I don't think it's mosquitos. These are about a quarter of an inch, thin and white. It did peak my interest though and I Googled mosquito larvae and they all seem to look like they have big heads. And dark colored. These remind me of rice a roni noodles before cooked. I cropped to make them bigger to see if it helps identify them. [​IMG]

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    To actually answer your question, I use Valbazen liquid goat wormer to worm my birds. You can order it online or pick some up at your local feed store or TSC. :)

It gets every worm a chicken can get!

[​IMG]

Dose orally, undiluted... .5ml (1/2ml) for standard, adult chickens... .25ml (1/4ml) for bantams and juvenile birds. Repeat in 5 days.

Hope that helps!!

MrsB

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by