1. carse

carse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    Hey there,would like to get your advise on what chicken wormer to use. All my birds are in pens on the ground.I know there all kinds of worms in poultry.just a little lost on these wormers that on the market. Thanks..Happy New Year

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Hello and welcome. We use Levamisole (Levasole) for our flock because it is large and individual birds are hard to catch. If yours are easy to catch, Safeguard or Valbazen are good choices. As of the first of the year, (2017) you will need a prescription from a vet for some of the dewormers. I like Strike III to use as an alternate in deworming, but it will not be available without prescription as of January 1. Whatever you use, it should be a broad spectrum dewormer. Worms can do a lot of damage, and also kill,. so it is important to deworm regularly.

3. carse

carse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    Thanks Chicknmania,for the information.

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    You are welcome and happy New Year to you!

5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Valbazen is a good Dewormer and will kill all worms.I dont know why people use dewomers when there chickens don't have it.Its a waist of money and you are putting a whole bunch of chemicals in there body that isn't good for them.Also the worms will become immune to it.I only worm when they have it

6. jolenejellybean

jolenejellybean Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I feed raw garlic once in a while. It doesn't affect eggs unless you give it all the time. I have seen no problems here.

7. carse

carse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    I have tryed every thing to get some weight back on my birds silkies,they eat good there just skin and bones..IVE seen worms.and me to don't like giving birds meds.thanks for the info. You have a Happy New Year

8. iShoelaces2191

iShoelaces2191 New Egg

Dec 4, 2016
    A R K A N S A S
    I have 17 pullets so it is hard to pin-point who or which ones are pooping droppings with little white specks in them that I assume are some sort of worm. What is a good dewormer and should I stop eating their eggs while deworming?

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would use Valbazen or Safeguard, since those wormers kill a wide variety of worms and are usually very effective. It is best to be sure your birds have worms before you worm them (by doing a fecal float yourself or having a vet do a fecal float), but if that isn't possible, simply having a regular worming schedule (1-2 times per year) is fine, too.

iSchoelaces2191, all of the wormers I know of have a withdrawal period during which time you shouldn't eat the eggs. Would it kill you if you did eat them? Probably not. It is safer to just discard the eggs for the correct time period, though. This period can range from 48 hours to 14 days after discontinuing use of the wormer.

10. carse

carse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    Thanks for the info. Have a. Happy New Year

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by